New tool

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

New tool

Post by Wayne »

image000000(182).jpg
Found this Eagle Claw Wrench at an antique store. Hadn't ever seen one before , so I had to bring it home. Built like Channel Locks, real heavy duty. One guy suggested it could have been for square nuts, another said it was a battery wrench. Has Dasco on one side and M T Co. Rockford Ill. on the other side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: New tool

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I know Dasco makes carpenter tools Wayne.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

My vote is for working on battery terminals. The "beak" area would be handy for the tightening nut on the clamp that is most often sunk into the lead, and the flat parts of the jaws would be good for working on the ends of cables, including crimping. The ability to make a fairly large size adjustment would be good to use for cable work on big stationary batteries like those on DC wind generators or the ones the telephone companies use. Or, a lineman might have one in his belt to use to tighten the nut on those threaded copper splices or maybe to use on big lag screws.

Just in case my first guesses are wrong: In the wintertime, my Grandpa would sit in his rocking chair with a bowl made of a slice of a tree that held all kinds of nuts still in the shell. I'd bet that thing would crack a few rather nicely. (It was a Saturday night ritual that seemed to happen most while we watched Lawrence Welk and his crew.) Burt
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Description
Patented in 1912, this unusual wrench adjusts in a manner similar to a channel-lock plier, and also has an unusually designed jaw that seems to be made for nail-pulling (hence, the eagle claw, I guess).

https://workingtools.biz/product/dasco- ... er-wrench/
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I bet it would crack a few nuts in the hands of a skilled craftsman. I think I'd call it a multi-tool. The use only limited by your imagination. On the same side as M T Co it has the patent date of Feb 1912.