Aermotor towers.

......when you need to get in the weeds.
LoTec

Re: Aermotor towers.

Post by LoTec »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:42 pm
Since you are from the M-W area, how many of the 602s tailbones have you seen are what I call the "Tucker" style? This seems to be a regional install method unique to that area that I have not seen elsewhere.

tucker tail bone.jpg

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
In 41 years of working on windmills, think I may have seen a couple of 602s where the tailbone was tucked behind the riveted reinforcement bar on the vane, but it's not at all common.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:08 am Hedgerow

It is a small windmill world out there. I assume you must be talking about the windmiller, John S____n? He grew up north of Greely and then worked for a well guy in Burwell. Then he went down to Dunbar and just moved back to north of Burwell over Labor Day. Having known him for close 20 years, he is a good guy. I know he has a 44' mast rig because he extended his rig when I did two of mine to 44'. You can raise and lower 8 x 60 mill and tower together with a 44' mast because the balance point is around 40'.

Here are pics of setting 8 x 53 with when I had a 40' mast rig

8X53.jpg

8x53 2.JPG

John taught me a lot about windmills and I got to return the favor with biz advice when he went on his own and solar pumps. The running joke we have is that I offered him a job before he moved to Dunbar. Instead of taking it, he moved even farther away from me...

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Sounds like we are talking about the same guy. I hope he will stop by the windmill when he is hauling towers from Dunbar to Burwell and a least oil it. Now that he has moved I am sure he has no interest in shorting the tower. I can see why he moved back up that way not a ton of working wind mills in this area and the well guys have the pump business cornered up.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Just a quick update. Never heard back from John on servicing the windmill. If anyone knows anyone that comes around the Lincoln Nebraska area that would like to service a Aermotor on a 60 Ft tower please reach out to me. My forty foot towable lift won't make this one.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Rather than start a new post, here is a reference out of Nov 1929 Aermotor price book for the EBTU (easy to build up) introduction. What is commonly referred to as the standardized Aer tower has been the same since 1918. From 1915-1918, the early EBTU towers had the twisted bottom girt and the X brace with rolled ends top and bottom. The footnote at the bottom right explains

ETBU reference.jpg

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.