Aermotor ?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Aermotor ?

Post by Ron Stauffer »

WB, if what you are describing was clamp on, I have made the supposition that was first. Those slipped so they drilled one hole and put a peg. That wasnt quite good enough so they drilled 2 holes and made a loop rung. First loop rungs were 15" when tower legs were 20' and 10'. When they went to the standardized 13' 8" tower angle the loop rungs became 16.25".

Only a supposition as I dont have any catalogs prior to 1899

Ron
windybob

Post by windybob »

Makes sense. Yes they were clamp ons.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Ron, Your right it does have 10 ft bottom and 20ft top. I was looking at that as I was thinking about taking it apart to haul home. I can't see a way to go in there with my trailer no place to turn around. As the cow trail goes by where the tower sets it is even less traveled. Probably lay the long pieces on my head ache rack no futher than it is back to my place.
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

The smaller loop steps were side specific; they were made for each side of the ladder post. Talking with Stan Anderson at one of the the trade fairs, he said a new engineer that was hired at Aermotor was given a step and asked to improve it. This new engineer was the one that came up with the longer (bigger) loop step and making them universal; to fit on either side of the ladder post.

Bryon
windybob

Post by windybob »

I thought they were all 'handed'. Guess I need to look thru my pile and see. Seems I remember they have a bend in them to make them straight (or slant) with each side to keep them in line with each other.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yes I know from experience there is a left and a right. I bought some for a friend. Had more of one than the other. Am I right that this tower would have been built around 1900 and then for how long?
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Wayne
After some research, my earlier guess of early to mid 1890s was very close. The loop rung was patented in 1897. And there was mention of two earlier styles of ladder rungs. That one you are looking at also has the key hole slot girts so you might find button head rods laying on the ground that were used for the upper X braces. The 1897 loop rung was 15".

In 1915, the Easy to Build Up tower was introduced. Corner tower angle lengths became 13' 8" and 7' depending on height. Lower X braces were 2 piece and upper Xs were split rod ends. The loop rungs were then made 16.25" to accommodate the different corner tower angle length. There were L and R loop rungs for both the 15 and 16.25 loop rung.

I know this contradicts the Stan story, but the universal rung did not show up until the late 1950s or 1960s. The universal rung came on board with the no rolled end on the lower X brace and the bolt together wheel. Any I have taken down that I thought were original installs with universal rungs had a Aermotor/FIASA motor.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks Ron, So the windmill would have probably been there when my GGPA bought the place in Dec of 1900.