Heller Aller Pinion Gears

......when you need to get in the weeds.
cmacw

Heller Aller Pinion Gears

Post by cmacw »

Hello out there,
Looking for info on my Mod. 8 Heller-Aller brought me to this great forum which has already helped on multiple occasions.

Members have mentioned in the past that the pinion gears are held onto the main shaft by tapered pins but holy moly these are the most difficult pins I’ve handled. The gear has a boss in the casting on one side, which I assume the pin is inserted from. It seems like the pins were swedged or peened on opposite small sides.
The attached image shows one rivet as found, and another die-ground. I am punching them from the opposite side. After die-grinding both sides of the pins flush and some mapgas torch heat, nothing moves either way, what am I missing? Any suggestions are much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Heller Aller Pinion Gears

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

When I rebuilt my Heller Aller i had the same problem and i had to drill holes smaller than the pins and then i could punch them out.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Dan's right , drill as much of the pin as possible to relieve stress that hold the pin tight . not easy but necessary .
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

If you drill them, make sure you keep them straight. I went through that when I rebuilt mine. I was told by Pat Hunt, ( the Heller Aller master ), they will be tight, but you can drive them out. Use a quality punch. Hold it with a vice grip and use a 32 oz. ball pein hammer. I put mine on the floor on a piece of plywood. Helps to keep from breaking the casting but still gives you a solid surface for backup. Heat, penetrating fluid and patience is key here. And try not to get in a hurry.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Kenneth, Pat Hunt is the Heller Aller guru who guided me when I restored mine. He even sent me the tapered bits and new pins.I can't say enough nice things about that man.
cmacw

Post by cmacw »

I appreciate the input from everyone. I’ve let them sit with oil and heat but a good pounding still causes no movement. I’ll let you know how drilling goes.
Windcatcher530 Dan

When you drill them start on the narrow end of the pin lessons chance of drilling crooked.