Axtell model C 10’

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
JBarker

Re: Axtell model C 10’

Post by JBarker »

Michael,

Thanks for the pics, now I visualize what my model A should look like on the furling hardware.

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Since the wheel is new as well as I had to make one wheel arm and make the stub, I wanted to dry fit the wheel. It all seemed to go together well and with sufficient clearance of the stub.

Still trying to refine the furling system as I’m making a few parts and it is a trial and error with more errors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice job Micheal !!
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Michael, who built the wheel? Did you ?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

63markB wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:41 am Michael, who built the wheel? Did you ?
I did not make the wheel.

The builder of the wheel is unknown as this mill seemingly changed hands a few times before I acquired it. I asked Dan B if he built it and he did relay that he has build one 10’ model C wheel that was shipped to Texas and it went to Chuck in Tolar. Neither Chuck nor Ruby remember this (my) 10’ wheel/model C…although Chuck has a 10’ C up. The gearbox had been rebuilt as well as the vane and tailbone were hot dipped galvanized together too. Having the above said, I’m not certain who made the wheel/rebuilt the gearbox.

I believe that it was never put up after the rebuilt/new wheel because of the one missing wheel arm. Just a guess.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have an A model. It has 4 arms hubs for the wheel. I thought that was unusual. Most 8 ft mills have either 5 or 6 wheel arms. I think I heard somewhere the wheel for an 8 ft has 4 sails per section.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windy,

I believe this hub goes to an Ever-Oiled 8’. I thought the 4 wheel arm to be odd for 8’, but just one wheel arm less than the 10’. Looking at Paul’s prior post of his 11.5’ Axtell C, his appears to have 6 wheel arms, all likely because of the channel iron wheel arms are pretty shout. The 16’/18’ gearboxes both possess 8 wheel arms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's what mine looks like yes. Thanks.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.