What's your favorite Windmill Brand?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CTXmiller

Re: What's your favorite Windmill Brand?

Post by CTXmiller »

Darrin - impressive work there.

I agree with Windy…the next one. I have a few open gears and more oil baths…three total erected and several nearing completion. Each is neat in their own way with pros and cons.

My favorite brand is an Axtell Ever Oiled as it is a Texas made windmill. There seems to have been about 3k of them made in their hay day of the 1930s. They seem well made, but the con is the furling system for which I have yet to see one operating with its furling system as it was designed.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I heard someone say the oil pump on the Axtell ever oil was a sore spot. I'm also partial to the Axtell's since I spent most of my growing up years in Ft. Worth. Working to get my Standard in the air.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Open gear mills are my favorite only drawback is the constant maintenance . The oil bath models are hard to choose a favorite i like the simplicity of the bakers ,the strength of the althouse wheelers, durability of the aermotor etc. Would like to find an Axtell because it was made regionally
Dsltrk

Post by Dsltrk »

rockislandnut wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:52 pm I would have to say that mills that are not known to exist are some of my favorite. This coming from a guy who likes to make 3d models so to make something that may not exist is kind of exciting. These are a few of my favorite's. Leach is probably my current favorite!🙂
Are those the mills that exist on patent drawings only? You did amazing CAD work.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Hunter , if you ever have the opportunuity to purchase one of his windmills , sieze that occasion . They are priceless of art & history !
Kingo

Post by Kingo »

Now my answer to that question is a Challenge!! Sort of like saying what’s your favorite muscle car…..they are all unique in their owns ways
rockislandnut

Post by rockislandnut »

Dsltrk wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:10 am
rockislandnut wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:52 pm I would have to say that mills that are not known to exist are some of my favorite. This coming from a guy who likes to make 3d models so to make something that may not exist is kind of exciting. These are a few of my favorite's. Leach is probably my current favorite!🙂
Are those the mills that exist on patent drawings only? You did amazing CAD work.
The US is from patent drawings and photos. The russell and leach and Hamilton are from sales literature. And the Stover I have an inside track on a survivor gear box.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I agree about the purchasing of one. I never get tired of looking at my Pipe Raymond setting on my table.