Lubricating swivel at the top of the tower.

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.

Lubricating swivel at the top of the tower.

Post by 3670 »

I have read many posts, but being new to the forum I don't know the actual names of the parts and I'm having trouble seeing if this has been answered in the past.
When my windmill swivels at the top of the tower towards the wind, it makes an erie sound. Is there a way to lubricate this area without disassembling the windmill from the tower?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Lubricating swivel at the top of the tower.

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

What make windmill is it? A pic would be nice and easier to solve your problem.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I don’t know much about Heller-Aller windmills (assuming it is a H/A), but the ball bearings within the turntable could be worn. Grease, if there is a grease zerk, is helpful anywhere there is a zerk: storm stay/turntable. There are more knowledgeable folks on here that can provide better advice.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Howard , thats ok not to know all the technical names , some of us still call them "thingys " & "chingadara " The real smart technical guys figure it 0ut and we get the correct parts in spite of us .

Post by 3670 »

Thanks for everyone's input. It is a H/A Baker direct stroke and the person who climbed up said there were no zerk fittings for the turntable. They did find fittings other places and put grease in them. I have no close pictures because they forgot to take their phone up.
Windcatcher530 Dan

I believe that has a ball bearing turn table, just squirt some oil in there
windybob

Post by windybob »

You are right Dan, or at least on the geared models. Not sure about the others. If it has a cupped 'cap' over the turntable, then you can.......gently pry up on the edge of it, but take the screw and bracket off first, because that holds the top cap down. Cast is brittle, so any undue forcing may crack or break it. Here's another idea..... Take out the bolt and bracket holding the cap in place. Turn the mill to the high of the up-stroke. Put a vicegrips at the bottom of the pole right above the welltop. Ok now slowly turn the mill wheel, and as the pumprod pushes down , it can't in the well, so it pushes the mill up off the turntable. there also may be a bushing in the end of the neckpipe, or a bolt under the storm stay to prevent the mill from lifting. This should be taken out or loosened enough to let the head lift. This should give you enough room to even put grease inside it. Watch the fingers! Maybe have 2 folks up there to make sure things don't go haywire. Oh, don't attempt unless it's a calm day. We do this on 6 ft mills. 8 ft mills are heavier, so the pump pole may bend instead of lifting the mill head.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

This is just a thought!! You might be able to sneak a grease needle in there to grease it.