Power Mill

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
joe herman

Power Mill

Post by joe herman »

It's spring and I am thinking of working on my one of a kind power mill.
I acquired the correct brake drum from Mike Hage that fits on the rear end from a '39 Chev
that is the motor for this mill. The vane ,24 sails, wheel arms and the furling mechanism is from a 10 ft
F & W open gear. I am going to make a hub using a piece of 6 inch well casing that is 5 1/2 inches long
which is the spacing between the ends of the wheel arms. The ends of the arms are even across.
I will cut two round plates the same diameter and weld them to the ends of the 6 in pipe to form the hub.
The brake drum is 12 in and has 10 bolts. Probably won't need to use all.
If I have that spacing then I can determine the size to cut the circles. Don't know whether the holes in question
are the inner or outer on a 10ft F & W ? The wheel arm ends as mentioned are the same length but can't tell which
was shortened.
My spokes measure 38 3/4. The sails are 36 1/2 and spacing between inner and outer rims is 23 1/2.
There are 24 sails.
I think Todd would have the answers. He indicated that he had given me that info last summer but I can not locate.

Thanks
Joe
DSCF4258.JPG
DSCF4183.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: Power Mill

Post by mtblah »

Good luck on this project Joe , keep us posted , looks cool & unique , one of a kind as you say .
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Glad to see your back working on that power mill will be very interested to see it in working condition. Keep us posted.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Thanks.
Looks like it is going to be an interesting project. One of the first things to accomplish is unfreezing
the furling mechanism . Sails are in need of repair and vane has plenty of bullet holes. Manufacturing the hub
should not present too great a problem.