What is acceptable snoot wear?

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
mattshup

What is acceptable snoot wear?

Post by mattshup »

Hi guys. I’ve been reading a bit here and there on the forum about how you can build up the snoot so it doesn’t leak oil. With Ni55 rod?

How much is considered a lot of wear. I have a caliper that shower 2.66inch on the 9 and 3 o’clock position, while showing 2.58inch at the 12 and 6 o’clock position. Is that too much wear and needs build back up?

There also appears to be a wear mark on the inside of the hub? I’m just learning as I go here so really appreciate the insight. This last year of full send windmilling has taught me so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: What is acceptable snoot wear?

Post by mtblah »

Matthew , looks great to my eye , a new bearing instert would be a perfect solution to any wear .
Just my opinion for what thats worth , MIke B
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Personally i would try to repair it.On hands experience is the best way to learn weather you fail or succeed you learn from both.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

You dont have a normal wear pattern because the end play of the hub shaft is off. There is lots more than .08 of wear but not where it usually is. It can be repaired Ni 55. The hub shaft is pitted and worn so when you put in a new shaft, the end play can be set correctly. The inner hub ring looks fine but to be sure you measure.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
mattshup

Post by mattshup »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:22 pm You dont have a normal wear pattern because the end play of the hub shaft is off. There is lots more than .08 of wear but not where it usually is. It can be repaired Ni 55. The hub shaft is pitted and worn so when you put in a new shaft, the end play can be set correctly. The inner hub ring looks fine but to be sure you measure.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO

The inner hub ring is also worn down in one area. I was looking at that further today. I have one more donor 702 case that I might crack open and see what shape it’s in before making executive decision with this one.
mattshup

Post by mattshup »

Well I sure gave it a fighting chance. First time ever doing it. I think I need to build up a little more in a couple spots but I ran out of rod. :(

I did but a groove in the top like I saw Ron say to do in another post somewhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Not bad. A few more and it'll be like riding a bike !!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

1st time , good job , several more & you will be a professional .
windybob

Post by windybob »

Just like a good caulking gun is to a woodworker, a good grinder is good for a welding person.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The weld or buildup being round is the essential ingredient. The tolerances dont allow for being off much. We used to check buildup with calipers but after a couple assemblies of getting the hub shaft within a 1/4" of being home and hitting solid, I got sleeves machined for mill sizes 6-12. It seems a more foolproof way to check

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO