WinPower paint color

Share and discuss your vintage wind generator related projects.
charleypete1957

WinPower paint color

Post by charleypete1957 »

Years ago I rescued an old WinPower wind generator from a ranch scrap pile. Now I'm retired and have the time to work on it, and I've got just about all the missing stuff. Right now I'm cleaning up and fixing to paint the power ring, or shroud for this old WinPower machine. Does anybody have any idea what color the WinPowers were? It's not terribly important, I just thought there might be a color or range of colors used regularly.

This forum has been great for getting the missing parts I needed. This is a wonderful group of people, and they've all been very helpful, from helping identify what I've got to providing parts that I needed, and even coming up with a complete manual for my machine. Thank you all. I'm really ready to get this thing into the wind after having lugged it around for half my life.

For what it's worth, my WinPower is a 1800W, 32V machine, it has no tail, it's a downwind blade type, three blades, 12ft. diameter. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Charlie
Wind Charger Mike

Re: WinPower paint color

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Red, props silver and governor and flyweights black. The beautiful 1800W in pics was restored by Oliver LaChapelle and donated to the American Windmill museum in Lubbock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charleypete1957

Yes, I saw these pics after I posted my request, and there's another one among those pics and it was orange on the outside also. I wondered if it was just a coincidence or that's what they were. Now I know. My blades are already silver, so that's good. Thanks so much! I'll post pics as things get rolling!
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

The majority of the Winpowers I’ve come across with original paint seem to be more red than orange. Here’s a pic of a 1800W and a 1000W unrestored.
Do you have the flyweights and are they steel or brass?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charleypete1957

I do have the weights. As I recall they are steel, but they’ve been packed away for a while and I haven’t seen them. Pretty sure they’re steel.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

THANK YOU Oliver ! impressive restoration , musuem quality for sure