2 inch point well

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
Doeringtodd

2 inch point well

Post by Doeringtodd »

Looking for some help. Started a project a year ago rebuilding a 1905 Elgin whiz windmill. Got it complete and on top of a 45' tower. Couldn't do there, now wanting to pump water to.

Drove a 2 inch sand point and hit water at 15 ft. Currently have point down 20. Looking for ideas on how I can use this well and hook to an 8 foot windmill. Hoping to have an old(also rebuild) the oshkosh hand pump over well.

Because the well is so shallow I'm thinking can lift the water with a check valve and a appropriate sizes plunger assembly above the water level. Ie 442 brass 2" plunger.

Is there something I can use?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: 2 inch point well

Post by windybob »

On sandpoint wells around here, (depending on the length of sandpoint) a 2 1/2 or 3 inch cylinder is put on the drop pipe wheather under the ground level, or above, depending on how you wish to manage the freeze issue in the winter. There are a few options we have done to help with the freeze issue. The longer the sandpoint, the easier it is to draw water in. Some cylinders are mounted a couple feet under the surface, which are a REAL pain to service. Some are mounted in a pit, with a cover. Careful placement of a weep hole is critical, if used at all. We have installed drain valves insted of weep holes, to leave closed in the summer, or cracked open in the winter to drain water from head pipe. The check in the bottom of the cylinder holds water in it, so priming is not needed.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.