shortened Aermotor trussed tripod tower

......when you need to get in the weeds.
waterPumper

shortened Aermotor trussed tripod tower

Post by waterPumper »

On my related B602 rebuild thread, Ron previously mentioned "I first thought the tower was a traditional 3 post of similar vintage to the head but it isnt. Those are "aftermarket" lower X braces and the rest of the tower top is the top part of a trussed tripod tower of 1907-1915 vintage that was pretty tall." Since I have completed the rebuild of the head, I have now begun to focus on the tower. I am satisfied with the condition of the upper 20 foot section of steel but the lower 10 feet needs attention. Bent and missing pieces etc. How do I best rebuild the lower section? Is it possible, or practical, to rework the lower section to resemble the lower section of a trussed tripod tower? Or do I continue the current placement of the horizontal and diagonal steel? I believe that any changes I make will require buying new steel. Also, I want to make this tower hinged at the base. In the end, my main concern is strength. I guess my overarching question is: Is tower strength compromised by reducing tower height as was done with mine?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: shortened Aermotor trussed tripod tower

Post by CTXmiller »

I often shorten towers for windmills that I put up at my place for a few reasons: 1) I have no trees anywheres near my windmills, 2) I dislike heights and I often use my tractor frontend loader bucket at full height extended up as a secondary working platform and 3) I put the most basic of hinge at the base.

To me, in my simplistic mind, the shorter the tower with a beefed up base makes for hinging up (or down) a windmill easier than a 30’+ tower. Especially if the tower is tall and there is a 10’ or bigger diameter windmill on top. All this depends on what equipment you have access to raise / lower the tower/windmill. I have my limits.

Adapting your tower back to a trussed tripod would be cool looking. It is only time, effort and steel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

WOW , thats a 30 ft'er +
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

mtblah wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:58 am WOW , thats a 30 ft'er +
Ad said 50’ tall w/ a 12’ base.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Water pumper, as you can see there is a lot of pieces in that bottom 20' which is the real trussed tripod part. And to be original, you need to use those wonderful slotted pan head bolts.

The shortest of these towers were 30' and they were in.10' increments. Tower sections were 10 and 20'.

Aermotor Advertising on these towers said a 60 trussed tripod was stronger than.a 40 four leg..

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO