F&W Zephyr Mod. 37: oil leak potential & need oil capacity please

......when you need to get in the weeds.
DennisT

F&W Zephyr Mod. 37: oil leak potential & need oil capacity please

Post by DennisT »

F&W Star Zephyr Model 37, 10-foot model: What is official oil capacity? Did they all have the 90-degree spring-cap oil cup for checking if full? When servicing, and after pulling oil drain pipe plug and reinstalling, I presume everyone pulls the hood to do visual inspection and for quickly pouring in fresh oil. (Would be pretty slow filling through that little oil cup............) Finally, were these mills prone to have any common places for oil LEAKS? Other service tips? Thanks for any comments. Dennis in E WA state
Smax

Re: F&W Zephyr Mod. 37: oil leak potential & need oil capacity please

Post by Smax »

I believe two and half quarts
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Dennis, I thought the 8 and 10 foot took 2 quarts, but I could be wrong. To refill after draining, remove the hood. That is a good time to give everything a good visual. Such as gear wear etc. As far as leaking, my 8 ft. doesn't leak much if any. Although mine doesn't get unfurled all that much, it still will spin some.

Kenneth
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Went up to my F&W today in the bucket truck. Everything looked dry, although it's been pulled-out for a week or more and we've had rain and wind. So no surprise I guess. Then....I lifted the little oil fill cup lid and stuck my finger in there. Came out wet with oil.. Oil level is about half-way between the bottom of that cup and the top. !!!!
So I came down and turned her loose. Only light breeze today, so she didn't run a lot but there are NO oil drops on the cement pad at all now..... so far.
My only guess is that when the windmiller filled the case with oil until it showed in oil cup, perhaps it got over filled because some oil got into some part of the case and took time to all drain down which resulted in too much oil. So it leaked until it found it's own proper level???????
Anyone have this happen?
Best thing all day is not finding a problem and so far no leaks. I'm surprised. I usually have really bad luck with things......
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

With my Baker (6.5’) WB, I have forgotten that it takes 1.5qts and accidentally put 2qts of oil in it. It leaked, causing a mess, until the oil got to the proper level on its on. It happens.