Back from West Texas.

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

Re: Back from West Texas.

Post by Wayne »

That really isn't Langtry. It was in Pecos. I'm planning a trip down that way to go to Seminole State Park to look at the pictographs.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

My bad , I was wrong spot on the map , again .
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

From he pictures I've seen of Lantry someone did a real good job building the replica. Except for it saying Pecos on the post you could get away with telling people it's the real deal.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Another high point of my trip was getting to use some of my worthless info I carry around. The Museum had an old National Cash Register I spotted while I was looking in the window while waiting for someone to come and open up. When they let me in I told the ladies I had worked for NCR/National Cash Register for 42 years and I might could tell them when the register was built and for whom if they would let me open the top drawer. They said sure. Back in the beginning of selling cash registers, the salesman brought a book with pictures. The customer and sales man decided what they needed and signed the order. The register was built for that customer and a tag was put on the bottom of the drawer with the name of the customer and date built. This one was built in 1925 for The Popular Department store in El Paso. One of the ladies said she had been in the store but couldn't buy anything as it was for the rich. The register was a top of the line. Had 6 cash drawers so 6 clerks could have their own cash drawer. John H. Patterson would tell hi prospective customers. The cash register won't make a crook an honest person, but it will keep an honest person from becoming a crook.
image000000(216).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks Wayne. Good information.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I love old Cash registers. There's a really old Irish pub in the Catskills with a beautiful mahogany bar and back bar. And centered in the back bar is a huge very ornate brass cash register from the early 1900s. The thing has to weigh well over 100 lbs.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Now I have learned something new today , Wayne , did not know that stuff !
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've got three Brass Registers. One is like the one in the photo except it is a single drawer, built in 1911, a fifteen key which are pressed down to operate. It is a 1911, then I have a 1909 16 key. It has the penny key on it, the 15 key starts with 5 cents. The 15 key and 16 key are called candy store registers.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Now when you are out and about and see an old cash register. You might can dazzle someone with your brilliance. Not sure when they quit putting the tag on the bottom of the drawer. Would of have been when they started really mass producing a model.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Will do, thanks for the info Wayne !!!