New guy with a Zenith Wincharger model 38

Share and discuss your vintage wind generator related projects.
Wind Charger Mike

Re: New guy with a Zenith Wincharger model 38

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Can you post a pic of your machine? Maybe something will stand out that’s not right.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If you have an old time parts store in your area they might still have brushes for those generators. Been awhile but I have bought a set from a store in my neck of the woods. I don't think you will have any luck with these new stores. You mention generators and brushes and the kids today wouldn't have a clue. If you don't have any luck let me know and I'll check with my parts store. He still carries that kind of stuff. I can walk in and ask for something and he walks into the back and lays it on the counter. You can PM me or email at axtellstandard@gmail.com.
bobwilson1977

Post by bobwilson1977 »

I am a forum member of an antiques radio forum and one of the guys sent me some owner's manual for the one I have. I learned a few things. First and foremost it says you HAVE to have a battery connected or you can overheat the Armature. I have been testing it with a 6 volt light bulb attached. Is that enough to put it under load or am I possibly going to damage this without a battery? The manual also shows installation examples and they are all way the hell up in the air. Like on a 20 foot tower or on top of a barn.

And thanks Wayne!
Wind Charger Mike

If your intent is to run 6v appliances, then you should use a battery for better voltage regulation. I think they’re saying to use a battery so you don’t run the generator open circuit for long periods. For just testing to see if generator is working, it’s not going to hurt it in the short term or at low speed. The generator runs OC until it gets up to around 300rpm or 6v where the cut out relay closes it’s contacts and connects the generator to the battery. Full output is around 1000rpm. Voltage is proportional to rpm squared with a self excited dc generator so if you run OC you can make a lot of voltage. The internal shunt puts all that on the field coils, drawing a lot of current and maybe why they say the armature can over heat. I’ve run a light bulb directly before with no problem. Just shut it down if you have high winds. The air brake governors can be over powered by high wind. Some model 38s only use the tail folding to govern in which case pull the chain and lock it out.
On a side note, if you use a 12v cut out relay or a power diode you can charge a 12v battery without a much more wind….roughly 40% more wind velocity to double output voltage so 11 or12 mph instead of 8.
Wind Charger Mike

On the tower height, the old saying was “the taller the tower, the higher the power.” It doesn’t have to be high to run a light bulb, just high enough to keep from gacking a pet or grandkid. 6’ prop at 1000 rpm can hurt. I don’t even like standing in the plane of rotation.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

You guys are talking dirty again , the square of rpm's , air brakes , field coils , diode's , all that stuff makes my head hurt , it's way beyond me !
bobwilson1977

Post by bobwilson1977 »

Wanted to thank you guys for the help. On Friday I received a package that had Ford Model A generator brushes. Those fit great. I then once again put the piece together again and back on the stand. After maybe 20 minutes it started generating power. I think maybe the new brushes had seated themselves. I also installed a high amp rated diode so that power won't go back through the generator. I don't have a battery yet but will get one. I am also restoring a 6 volt "Farm Radio" so that eventually I can make a functioning display for an upcoming event
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

That would be really cool, when done Post some pics. Thanks!!!