Bad Water Areas - the Case for Solar

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Reddirtwind

Re: Bad Water Areas - the Case for Solar

Post by Reddirtwind »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:14 am I am back from a very extended work trip and have some time to research on your issues.

1 Is it the pump end or motor that went out? As I said earlier, Gf uses the same motor on all their sqf series and just the pump end is varied for application. Gf does not sell pump ends and motors separate.

2 I had never heard of your panels so had to check specs. They are amorphous. For a very short time, Gf had offered amorphous panel packages with their pumps. This was only for a short time and never really heard why they were discontinued. We only use monocrystalline panels with most applications using 400-800 watts.

3 The Vmp rating is high for amorphous panels so voltage drop should not have been an issue. Here is the chart to calculate voltage drop. Gf wants you to use 8.5 Amp in the calculation whether available or not. Vmp rating on the panel is what is used in calculating and if in series it is Vmp times the number of panels.

Most of our installs are 2 mono panels 750-800 watts with a combined Vmp of 80. #12 wire works to 100' and #10 >100' and <200'

voltage drop index.jpg

4 The motor end of the sqf is a half hp motor accepting both DC and AC. A half hp motor draws roughly 1050 watts. On DC, the motor just spins slower or faster based on the power (watts) that is feeding it. I am guessing that two Kaneka 60W panels would be starving that motor?
Gf does have tech support for licensed installers.

Gf does have a model Mini 5-8 designed for <100' head. It is about $500 less than the others. We have success with these also feeding them with one 350-400 w panel.

Hope this helps

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Ron,
I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to respond.

The issue was with the motor end. The units simply stopped running.

Two of the wells were NRCS wells (they kicked in about half the money). They were both done with Kaneka panels. I had one other Grundfos (the shallowest at 80’), that DID have monocrystalline panels (2 panels at approx 36v with 250w each (don’t have exact specs, but that’s what I remember off the top of my head). This shallow well, with the monocrystallines, was doing about 4-5 gpm, the deeper ones with the Kaneka’s were doing about 1-1/2 to 2. All are set 10-15 feet off the bottom.

Unfortunately, I had problems with ALL.

ONE of those (with the Kaneka’s), still has a Grundfos in it (2nd pump on that well). The deepest (also with a Kaneka), I gave up after the 3rd Grundfos, and converted to cheapie Chinese and monocrystallines.

The shallow, I also converted to cheapie Chinese, and kept the monocrystallines.

I also have a shallow (60’) well at another ranch that I have put a cheapie Chinese and monocrystallines on.

This is kind of an “experiment” at this point. I wanted to see if I could “do it myself”, and maybe save some serious money on pumps, as well, based on my Grundfos “track record”. My neighbor just put a Lorentz on one of his wells (about 150’), and I’m curious to see how it does. Who knows?? I may have to go back with Grundfos. I’m not questioning the quality of the Grundfos, just the PRICE for the amount of time I’m getting out of them. I’ll keep that model you mentioned in mind, on the shallow wells, if I convert back.

I’ve been reading this forum for quite some time, and just want you to know that your expertise on pumps/wells/windmills is GREATLY appreciated!