the Uncompahgre Plateau

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
mtblah

the Uncompahgre Plateau

Post by mtblah »

Yesterday we traveled across the Uncompahgre Plateau area of Colo. Route 550 from Silverton down to Durango . Beautiful counrty , mountins 14K tall , winding roads any snake would envy , snow capped mountins melting into gushing stream , no garderails on every swithchback on narrow roads , white knuckle driving for 3 hours !
Ron , I saw a lot of the windmills you keep pumping , lots of solor being installed , but some still prefer the beauty of an Aermotor pumping water for the cattle .
Onto the railroad excursion on the steam train out of Durango .
Mike B
CTXmiller

Re: the Uncompahgre Plateau

Post by CTXmiller »

Good snow skiing in Colorado. Beautiful views as well.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Depending on where you were, you may have been out outside of the Unc? It is north of 141 and west of 550 and ends at Dallas Divide. 550 from Silverton to Dwango is some of our prettiest mountains. The Weimunche Wilderness is east of 550 and the most pristine area of CO. Lots of 14ers and 13ers in there. It would be more pristine if there wasnt a RR in there... I dont support the RR and pack the extra miles in from either Molas or Purgatory, Animas River is beautiful. Yes it is high tourist season up here and still lots of snow and rivers running high

trout lake.jpg

This is the back way out of the Unc to AZ

unc 1.jpg

unc 2.jpg

You are probably now 3 hours away but next time give notice and I will retire and be home...
Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Onto the railroad excursion on the steam train out of Durango .

Make sure you reserve on the "real" steam pusher as they have some #2 diesel pushers after causing that last big fire

Ron
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Will do .
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

In 1967 camped just south of Silverton, then at Mesa Verde park, then spent 7 days camping close to Gunnison, sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag. Then we stayed in a motel close to the Royal Gorge. I never knew white sheets on a bed could feel so good.