I bought a miniature ELI and then a 10' one to match

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
hwy8

I bought a miniature ELI and then a 10' one to match

Post by hwy8 »

Last Windmiller's Trade Fair, my wife and I made an unscheduled, first-time stop in Nebraska City, which then strongly reminded me of my Grandpa's blacksmith shop, which then inspired steadier work on my Power Mill, and which then also got me looking closer at ELI machines. When Justin E. forwarded the ad from the Denver Craigslist, I had already had a good number of long looks at Tim Cook's handiwork and I had started looking around my "inventory" wondering what I could sell in order to buy an ELI from him. Well, it all worked out and that's a photo of Justin standing in my yard with my newly acquired TIM COOK-made ELI!

While I was getting a tour through Tim's workshop in Longmont, CO, I asked if he knew of a full-sized machine for sale and as luck would have it, he ended up selling me the machine he used for measuring. So, how's that for a "Circle of Life" situation? I now own a 1/3 model purchased from the very talented maker, AND I've stood in the factory, surrounded by the original tools, and in the very spot my 10' ELI was born! How about that?

So, from my picture, could you all help me figure out what's the casting that is sitting on the main tube? Clearly the casting slides up beneath the "cover" and there are cast "dents" that hold the ball-bearings. Is this used to mount the machine on a wooden tower? If so, how is that done? Is it an actual ELI part or possibly another company's part? Should there be some kind of tightening strap? Does it use a storm-stay? All the tower photos that I've seen are the typical 4 sided casting with a donut shaped ball bearing cover on top of it so this is unfamiliar.

I believe the only part I'll be looking for is the half-moon shaped "bumper" that mounts onto the main frame when the tail is furled.

Thanks for the help, Burt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: I bought a miniature ELI and then a 10' one to match

Post by Wayne »

Great Story!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Nice story and neat mini windmill to match.

Unfortunately I don’t know a thing about an Eli windmill, other than they are cool looking.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

I didn't know a thing about them either until I took a Kregle Windmill factory tour in Nebraska City, NE. (check out their website) I bought the 10' in pieces and just for fun, loosely assembled it today: Now I'm liking it a lot! The overall design seems pretty clever and the castings are well thought out and nicely made. I don't know how well they worked in real life but I am proud to be an owner. I'll try and post some photos soon.

HOW ABOUT THIS? I called the Kregel Windmill Factory today to ask if I could get copies of original literature or even blueprints if any exist. I mentioned to the fellow I spoke with that I will be building a new tail vane and I wonder if there is artwork of the ELI lettering. He suggested that I come down and use the original metal factory stencil to make my own drawing!!! WHAT??? He said a number of collectors have done that. We also discussed that manufacturing at the time didn't rely upon blueprints as much as we do and that in the case of Kregel, the foundry was just down the street and if a modification was needed, a short walk took care of it. So then I asked if they had original unused parts that I could measure."Oh, sure! Others have done that too! They're in bins and on the shelves!". (I'm from a museum background and this kind of opportunity is unheard of!)

To be sure, no parts are for sale and EVERYTHING there needs to be treated with utmost respect, but .....WOWEE!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Burt that is AWESOME!! I will check on that tower and PM you. Hopefully it will be good news. Dan !!!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Thank you posting this ELI info , really cool stuff !
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

When we were there for the trade fair we went back one afternoon for a special tour and they turned on the electric motors and started the line shafts. It was really something to watch all those belts turning and coming down to run the machines. It would have took a lot of thinking to put together all those line shafts and pulleys, and get the equipment set in the right place to make it all work like you want. Took some pretty smart fellers.