vintage windmill - modern electricty

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about vintage wind generators, in most cases.
CLTIves

vintage windmill - modern electricty

Post by CLTIves »

We are a land trust in Connecticut that owns a farm. On the farm there is an old Aeromotor windmill that has been there for over 100 years. It is a well known landmark in town, that has not turned in many years, but we are interested in replacing the head with a new vintage looking head and wheel that will generate electricity. I had done some research on this a few years ago and found someone (I think in Texas) who made an old style head that was actually a generator that made electricity - but now I cannot find my notes on that research.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction to a company that makes an old looking mill that makes electricity it would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Bill Stanley
wjstanley@cox.net
Wind Charger Mike

Re: vintage windmill - modern electricty

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Certainly can be done but I’m not aware of a company that does a conversion or sells kits.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

There are companies out there but the results have not achieved advertised production. If you decide to do it, dont go to the expense or bother of a grid tie. Just do a small independent light/load display.

This TX based company might be who you are thinking of?
https://www.spiritpma.com/

When Verheul was at Aermotor's helm 10 or so years ago, Fernandez of Potomac Wind Energy in Maryland adapted the 16' for electric.
http://www.potomacwindenergy.com/id17.html

Five plus years ago, there was an outfit out of Montana that also adapted an Aermotor. One was sold locally but the owners were never able to get it connected to the grid as it wasnt UL listed and wouldnt come close to NEC wiring codes. They were a flash in the pan and were around less than a year

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
WisJim

Post by WisJim »

When I first started working with wind energy, I found a few people trying this, and it never worked well. An electrical generator needs to spin fairly fast, and a water pumper needs real high starting torque but spin fairly slowly, and the two aren't very compatible. It might give enough energy to power a small light or something but isn't practical for running much.