Cast clips

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
CTXmiller

Cast clips

Post by CTXmiller »

Thoughts on the manufacturer/model of this fan section with cast clips? My first thought was Woodmanse. I checked the wheel identification document before asking. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Cast clips

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

My guess would be a Canadian mill !!!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windcatcher530 Dan wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:40 pm My guess would be a Canadian mill !!!
In Texas? I’m laughing :D now, but you could be correct.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

It doesn't look like anything I have seen up here in Canada.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Actually all joking aside I've seen that cast clip before I'm thinking early challenge maybe dandy the one with the rounded tailvane.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you
windybob

Post by windybob »

If I can turn that section over in my mind, it looks to be CCW rotation. As far as I know, Challenge were CW mills. They also had a deep ridge close to the end.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

You are correct Bob those sails turned CCW. Early monitors tailvane was very similar to early dandy's tailvane did monitor make malleable cast clips? For some reason that style tailvane reminds me of those clips.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Best I can determine is that they may be from a Baker S. Looking at Neal’s site, he has one identical and identifies it a Baker S, which the blade length is consistent with a 8’ S. There is another example of the blade clip on a photo for a Baker X. However, there are differences from that Baker X example to my Baker X wheel. I’ll learn towards them coming from a Baker S.

When they were posted for sale, the clips were not visible in the photos and I thought them to be Baker. Upon me flipping them over when I picked them up, I saw the cast clips and then initially thought Woodmanse. The three sections did come with a single wheel arm that looked Baker. However the seller said he had transacted a good number of windmill parts over the years, so I wasn’t certain if the wheel arm belonged to those sections. Thank you.