getting to the trade fair . . .

Challenge 27

getting to the trade fair . . .

Post by Challenge 27 »

Am planning how to get to Pleasanton.

Currently considering getting onto Interstate 35 in Oklahoma and going south. Will eventually come to the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Is I 35W the best way to go around Dallas-Fort Worth or is there a better way?

Have given some thought attacking Dallas-Fort Worth from the east on I-30 and using I-635 and then I-20 to circle south around to I-35.

What do the experts say?

Challenge 27

P.S. I remember using the turnpike to get around Austin from a few years back. Is the turnpike the same thing as Hw 130, or have I got that wrong?
CTXmiller

Re: getting to the trade fair . . .

Post by CTXmiller »

Not an expert at anything, but..

Going through either Dallas on IH35E or Ft Worth on IH35W depends on timing for the most part and avoiding rush hour traffic. A smartphone navigation app can typically help to avoid traffic.

I went through Ft Worth earlier this month on IH35W and there was some construction, but the Ft Worth side is typically my preference. Likewise, I went to the north Dallas area earlier this month and while I didn’t encounter any construction on my specific route (which involved the Dallas North Toll Road), it feels like there is much more merging in my opinion, as in having to jump over 4 or 5 lanes to continue your route.

The IH30 to IH635 to IH20 is also a gamble as I recall going that route about 4 or so months back. I recollect some construction around the IH30/IH635 area, but it wasn’t bad on my particular trip to Garland.

You can get on the toll road 130 / 45 around the Georgetown area and the speed limit is 80 and then bumps up to 85 on the southern part. Avoiding Austin traffic is nice. You’ll get to see a Tesla giga factory that is absolutely huge. If you say on 130, it will run you to Seguin at IH10.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Having grown up in Ft. Worth and lived there until 1969. I perfer I-35W. I'd drive a 100 miles out of my way to not drive in the Dallas area. The construction is over pretty much. I was up that way back in June. Even tho on n Interstates it's never really done it seems to me.
Challenge 27

Post by Challenge 27 »

First of all, thanks to those who replied to my previous post.

As I study google maps, I notice that as Interstate 35W penetrates into Dallas-Fort Worth, I could exit onto I-820; which goes west and then south, around much of downtown Fort Worth. It junctions with I-20, which I could use to go east, back to I-35W. Good idea?

I also noticed that as I would go east on I-20 back to I35W, I could exit south on the "Chisholm Trail Parkway" and go south aways, and then use a state highway to go back to I-35. Good idea or not-so-good idea?

Let those who know reply.

Challenge 27

P.S. It would appear that as I approach the San Antonio region, I should exit off hw 130 (definitely will use that road to go around Austin) near Seguin onto I-10, and then go west to I-410, then onto I-37 or U.S. hw 281, using either one to proceed to Pleasanton. Or is there a better way?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Given the options and avoiding rush hour, I agree with Wayne that Ft Worth is my preferred route via IH35W through north Texas.

What you mentioned: tollway 130 to IH10 (Seguin) to IH410 to IH37 is the route that I prefer when I travel to the Rio Grande Valley. I’ve never tried the IH410 to US281.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I never use 820 going around Ft. Worth. Way out of the way. I go straight through on I-35. You have one bottleneck, where 35, 287 and 30 all come together close to downtown. Sometimes it's just a slow down other times, it can be an adventure. After you get through that it's smooth sailing. Lots of traffic until you get south of Burleson. I'll be going north through there the 16th of September on my way to Cody Wyoming.
Reddirtwind

Post by Reddirtwind »

Do NOT do Dallas. Going I-35W through FW is always a crapshoot. Sometimes you fly, sometimes you sit. Even though going AROUND FW using WEST Loop may LOOK way longer, it’s only a few extra miles, and is ALWAYS the safer bet. Worst case, it MIGHT take an extra 8-10 minutes, vs. getting through I-35W if they are both perfect. If I-35 W is NOT perfect, it may cost you an extra 30-45 minutes (and a lot more stress) vs taking the “longer” west loop route. (Use one of the traffic apps to check for tie-ups before you commit).

If you take the West loop, just remember to start moving over to the R hand lane once you get past Hulen or Granbury ROAD (NOT 377 to Granbury). I-35W comes up pretty quick after that.

Don’t do the east route you discussed. You’ll regret it.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I agree with all all the above information .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX