Evapo-Rust Results on a Fiasa B-702

......when you need to get in the weeds.
JBarker

Evapo-Rust Results on a Fiasa B-702

Post by JBarker »

Had to share my results with using Evapo-Rust on my Fiasa B-702 project. I been sandblasting the rusted parts in the past and wanted to give Evapo-Rust a try. So far, I love the way it cleans the rust off the windmill parts in 24 hours. I will post my before and after pics. I hope this helps someone with their project. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
TdcJD

Re: Evapo-Rust Results on a Fiasa B-702

Post by TdcJD »

I did the same with the parts on my F&W, works really good. Problem I have is they flash rust within a couple minutes of taking it out.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Looks great. Can you reuse that stuff?
PaulV
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Yes you can. I got about a good 6 or 7 uses out of 2 gallons before it lost steam. It's good stuff. Rustoleum makes some too, more of a gel. Works about the same, just takes a bit longer to do the same work as evapo. About half the price as evapo-rust though.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

I haven't tried Evapo-Rust yet but I've heard nothing but good about it so I'll interested in your results. On my recent project - building a 12' tower for an X702, I used hot rolled angle from the steel place. I figured I'd coat it with ZRC. The instructions for ZRC say it needs to be on bare metal and that all mill scale must be removed. I hated the thought of grinding or sanding it all off on all that angle so I figured I'd try vinegar. I capped one end of some 3" PVC, loaded it up with the long pieces of angle and filled it with vinegar (the household cleaning variety). Left it stand there for 24 hours. When I pulled it out, the metal was black and I was thinking it didn't work. I rinsed it with fresh water though and wiped it with a scotchbrite pad and all the black sooty stuff just wiped off and there was bright shiny metal underneath. I did have to dry it immediately to keep it from flash rusting. Its so dry here though, so it wasn't a problem. The only issue was that now I've got 5 gallons of very yucky looking vinegar to get rid of.

-RP
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

great job
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

RPinAZ,

If it was me, I’d use that left over vinegar on some fire ant mounds. May be not in my immediate yard, but on fire ant mounds nonetheless.