Boss Vaneless color

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Boss Vaneless color

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

It looks like most examples the iron work is red, I assume that is correct? Was the Hanchett red also or was it black? Thanks
Les Jacox

Re: Boss Vaneless color

Post by Les Jacox »

KRB
Linda and my hanchett windmill is red iron hardware, white wheel with red tips and black bull weight.
But not sure if this is correct, but it looks good.
Les Jacox
Garland, NE
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Thanks Les, that seems to be the most common color so I am betting you are correct. I have ended up with a second one, it is identical to my first with the exception of the cross piece the bull mounts on does not say Boss. I am just assuming it is a Hanchett but neither came with any weights so who knows? Thanks again
Les Jacox

Post by Les Jacox »

Aaron , are there any other differences between your two mills? Between the Boss and the Hanchett, there should be a couple of small differences. I think the counter weight brace rods on the boss has holes that they go through. And the Hanchett has hooks. And the mounting plate for the bull weight on the Boss will say Boss on it, the Hanchett plate will not have any name on it. There maybe some other differences, would have to get a Boss mill and a Hanchett mill out and compare them.
Les Jacox
Garland, NE
Kansas Rust Buzzard

The only thing I noticed was the lack of the Boss name on the plate. It was all disassembled and the main casting was broke and the angle irons going forward are all welded together because of the break so its not the best example but it is kind of fun to have both. I will have to look it over better, I am not sure I got all the rods and angle irons so I will have to copy some off the other so I appreciate you mentioning the hooks on the braces. Hopefully the new one is black so they won't look like the same mill.