Disassembly and rehoming

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
sdainko

Disassembly and rehoming

Post by sdainko »

Hi all,

I have very little to no knowledge on vintage windmills. I work as a county wildlife technician and am trying to install a Motus tower (https://motus.org/about/) on top of an existing windmill tower we have on county property. To do so, I need to remove the wheel, fin and gearbox.

Staff recommend that we hire a crane to remove the gearbox due to its weight. However, I doubt the people who did the installation used a crane. Surely there are other, more cost-effective methods.

Additionally, we wanted to see if anyone might be interested in these parts. The windmill is still in working condition (including the well-head). The tower will remain but we can rehome the wheel, gearbox, fin and well-head. Please see attached photos of said windmill.

Any advice on gearbox lowering, general disassembly or interest in these parts is welcome. It is located in Kane County, IL (about an hour west of Chicago).

Thanks,
Sadie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sdainko on Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Disassembly and rehoming

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Sadie what you have there is a 702 Aermoter windmill. Someone knowing how to disconnect the head from the tower has to climb up there to do it. A crane to take the head off is the safest.Mayby someone on the forum that is near you can help you.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Is that a fiberglass helmet ?
Terry

Post by Terry »

Sadie
I sent you a Private message.
Terry
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Is that a fiberglass helmet?
Yes it is fiberglass. The entire head is 802 model through and through. Even the tower is 802 - universal steps, oversize sae hex hardware and 1.5" platform. Refer to Macdabs post in July.

Removal would be complicated somewhat by the non existence of a brake band. A ratchet strap can be utilized between the outer band and the z bar of the tailbone to keep it from turning. With the tail open and viewed from the back of the motor, the strap would be positioned from three o'clock on the outer band to the z bar

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
sdainko

Post by sdainko »

Thanks all for this advice.
Terry

Post by Terry »

You are welcome.
Terry