Eclipse Rebuild

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Eclipse Rebuild

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

The purpose of the chain is to furl the mill, pulling the tail parallel to the wheel that somewhat stops the wheel from turning which should be applied with strong winds. I would replace the chain with original size chain to keep it original.Thats a really nice old mill and to keep it that way I would only let it spin on special occasions it will thank you in the end.
wetsand

Post by wetsand »

thank you...will do and send pics. I am building the tower now.
wetsand

Post by wetsand »

Here is the tower...the bottom half is in process. The top half is in the next picture in the forefront. Behind it is a temporary stand holding the Eclipse. Most of the wood is reclaimed from a barn..noice 1x6" redwood.

My plan is to move the Windmill onto the new stand (top half) and then fork lift it on top of the bottom half. If all goes well, it drops into pre-aligned guides and bolts. It will take a big forklift :)))). Let me know any suggestions as everything is work in progress.
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 4.23.38 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 4.23.50 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

My opinion for that musuem mill is inside under roof , air conditioned . But you are making it look good , wood tower and all . Should last for a few more years .
Is the tower over a well hole ?
wetsand

Post by wetsand »

No it is not over a well hole. I did some inquiry on museum and did not get anywhere so I figured I would just enjoy it. If someone or some museum wanted to trade for a metal mill I would be happy to consider to preserve it.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's really a great offer . That would be awesome for some museum somewhere. In the meantime, enjoy what you have, and what you are doing with it. I think you are doing really good.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
wetsand

Post by wetsand »

Update.
Took the Windmill apart to prepare to move onto new tower. I ordered thrust washers (oil imbedded) anywhere there was metal to metal friction like where the main shaft sits and rotates on the base.
Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 6.43.11 AM.png
One thing I am doing is coating the blades with paint sealer. I used "Rain Guard Paint Sealer" on amazon and it seems to be really good. Maintains the color/patina and soaks into the paint well. Hoping that will protect wood and paint from sun and rain without flaking.
Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 6.42.58 AM.png
I am still debating how to approach oiling and greasing. Should I use grease on moving parts like the shafts even with the oil imbedded washers?
Should I grease the blade shaft and then fill the oil reservoir with chain saw oil? I am worried if I do not use grease around the shaft where it exits the trough, oil will just seep out the ends.
Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 6.42.43 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

If it was me yes I would also grease the shaft i do on mine.
wetsand

Re: Eclipse Rebuild Weight Adjustment

Post by wetsand »

Reading the patent....on Eclipse, it says one aspect is the weight being adjusted up or down the arm to adjust how it responds in wind.
Is it safe to assume if I move the weight up the arm higher up, it will respond to lighter winds to create a brake (moving the vane perpendicular to the wind. If it is lower on the arm (how it is now), it will not rise up as fast when the wind gets too much?
This more of a question or confirmation that to be safe I move the weight to middle of the arm versus the bottom.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Yes it will furl easier with the weight in the middle of the weight arm then if it was at the bottom of the arm.