Raising an A-602 as One Unit

......when you need to get in the weeds.
billcobb

Raising an A-602 as One Unit

Post by billcobb »

Any day now (waiting for weather), I will be installing an old A-602 Aermotor up onto its tower. This mill was complete wreckage. I dis-assembled it, slip rolled the fan blades, replaced some angle iron and put it all back together. Only the bullet holes remain to remind us of it's battle scars. I own a crane that can easily handle the lift weight. My other mills are F&W and Bakers. I would like to know if I should expect the crane cable strap to see a perfectly balanced windmill (tail, motor, fan, spring, brake parts and paint, dove poop and globs of galvanizing), or will I need to balance it manually with some added weight (and how much would be needed. Yes, I will lock the tail in unfurled (wide open) position to make it symmetric as I have seen in some videos and will use the guide wheel hoop as the single lift point.

Thanks for any advice. I do this by myself, so no ropes, gin poles or courage generating beverages will be present. I have good control of the electric JLG from the ground, so I expect to be able to drop it onto the mast pipe in a still wind without a lot of trouble or adult language being present.
windybob

Re: Raising an A-602 as One Unit

Post by windybob »

Bill, the balance point is indeed the hoop with the tail open. Put vicegrips on the brake band to keep the wheel tight. put bunjee cords on the outer rim of the wheel to the tail bone to make sure the tail stays open. Take a turntable washer or 2 up with you to make sure the mastpipe is above the case the right amount. ( 1/8 or 3/16 or so) If you set the head, you might need to slip it back off to add the washer. Grease or oil the mastpipe also before installing the head.Oh..make SURE you have the furling ring on it. they don't make those in a 2-piece once the head is on. BE CAREFUL!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Hoop was PERFECT balance point. All done from the ground. Had to climb up to the platform to release the sling. Mast pipe came out about 1/8" over the crank-case. Only thing remaining is to screw in the pump rod and hook up an air bellows (making it an "AirMotor"). Just a few small 1/2 second lift control imputs was all it took to locate the pilot at the mast pipe. Then it just dropped it with a nudge from the Windmill God !

Not sure why the platform appears to be slanted. It's plumb level. Same for the tower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Looks great!
PaulV
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Bill
Here is the progression of keeping a wheel from spinning when sieting. One pair of vise grips on the brake band will keep it from spinning if there is no wind. Two pair of vise grips will handle some wind and keep it form spinning. Two pair of vise grips and a ratchet strap from outer band to Z bar on the bone will hold in all winds. Not only does the ratchet strap keep it from turning, it keeps the mill open and balanced.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

No vice grips and a come-along from the outer band to the z-bar on the tailbone keeps the mill open AND keeps it from spinning. Shouldn't be putting a mill up when it is windy. I have done it, but only when I had to.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I agree except around here it seems calm on the ground until you get up on the tower then the gale is blowing.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think I've put up more mills in the wind than calm. Don't have a lot of choice when the wind blows 360 days a year. The other 5 days are always on a Sunday.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.