FM 45 pull out assembly: how does it work?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
windybob

Re: FM 45 pull out assembly: how does it work?

Post by windybob »

Did I miss anything? Fire away. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

You didn't miss much, if anything....!
Here we go: I cleaned this one item up more today. Point: in earlier photos of this piece, the bolts were not cleaned because when I removed that sleeve from the mill pipe it slid right off without having to loosen anything. Bolts were tight. I left them that way until I figured the thing out. So there we've proved the sliding sleeve. In these photos you can see the slot that would slide along the welded on rib.
The, "tab," with 2 holes, (for a through bolt), must connect something upward to the brake. (?)
The lower collar that has a hole on each side of the sleeve, must be where the pair of rods come UP through from below and that is the connecting point to the pull-out wire.
How's that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

(I'm ignorant about moving photos around in these posts, so...) Referring back, above somewhere, to my vertical photo of the back of my truck. You circled the, "spider," that I was trying to call a sway brace. Now I can see it is probably no more than a guide for the pair of pull-out rods. Which is what I think you are trying to tell me. You also said it had sets of holes for either a 3 leg or 4 leg tower. I can easily see that. So if it has holes for tower legs, it must connect to each tower iron/leg via a J-Bolt and/or a threaded rod for stability. So I am missing those pieces, but suspect they can easily be made.
So that also means I'm missing a sway brace casting............................. And I don't even know what they look like.
The other flat bar arm you pointed out in the same photo, that puzzled you, I accidentally answered last night - coming up in another entry.
windybob

Post by windybob »

DennisT wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:29 pm You didn't miss much, if anything....!
Here we go: I cleaned this one item up more today. Point: in earlier photos of this piece, the bolts were not cleaned because when I removed that sleeve from the mill pipe it slid right off without having to loosen anything. Bolts were tight. I left them that way until I figured the thing out. So there we've proved the sliding sleeve. In these photos you can see the slot that would slide along the welded on rib.
The, "tab," with 2 holes, (for a through bolt), must connect something upward to the brake. (?)I covered that earlier. It's either where a bolt or pin holds the bottom of the chain, that goes up thru the pulleys, or the end of the flat bar that goes up to hook to the bottom of the chain. Remember?
The lower collar that has a hole on each side of the sleeve, must be where the pair of rods come UP through from below and that is the connecting point to the pull-out wire. Right. And that's not a stormstay. Like I mentioned, that should bolt to the top of the stormstay. I don't see a stormstay anywhere yet.
How's that? Also is there a groove in the 2-piece item you took apart? if so, then that groove goes over the flange of the slider.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Fast! Your first red text: agreed.
Second red text: (terminology - meant to say stormstay. Ooops) Evidently I did not get a stormstay with this windmill. Now to find one; picture would be good start.
Your last statement: On this two-piece part there is the long squared internal channel, (slot), seen in photo. NO other groove in the sleeve or either half-circle clamp parts.
windybob

Post by windybob »

On the inside where the channel is, does it fit on the round flange? if not, then it probably rides in the center of the bushing. I just figure it would not have the up-down slop, or play. Just making sure.

Check the parts list I posted some time ago, and see if there is a stormstay, and what it looks like. Like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure my 45 doesn't have your setup.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

With the 2-piece collar back on it, I can sight down, inside the sleeve and see clear through the whole thing. The slot/internal channel is cut clear through the end flange. The flange stops the sleeve from sliding out of the collar. If that makes sense.
I was just looking at your parts pages; will look more. It looks like there are variations in these mills of the same model
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Next: That mysterious bar that shows in the vertical photo of the mill still in my truck; just as I brought it home. ......
I was searching every fb entry I could last night on another windmill page. Came across the photo attached of his FM 45. Bingo. There is the casting with a roller that I had wired to my mill when I got it. Never could figure where it went. Plainly shown in the photo. And the support bar might be our mysterious bar.
Pic also shows the rod/spring that works against the brake. I have the rod and spring, but not the case open tube on the end. Model variation??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think you are on the right track. I agree.