Stain for my wood tower

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Stain for my wood tower

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice day to be out in my shop cooking up some Black Walnut Stain for my wood tower i built.
20240225_144655.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Stain for my wood tower

Post by windybob »

Curious to see what the end result is..
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I love black walnuts but never realized how toxic they were, I had some drying on a cement slab one year and it rained, some kittens were licking the black water up like it was candy, I didn't think anything about it but pretty soon they were stumbling around like they were drunk. Every one of them died so I started drying them on hail screen over dirt. I am very interested to see how your home made stain works also, I have seen it used on leather but never wood.
Les Jacox

Post by Les Jacox »

When I was in high school (many moons ago) I was a fur trapper. I used black walnut hulls to dye my traps. It made a vary good black dye, better than anything I could buy, it kept the traps from rusting.
Les Jacox
Garland, NE
Windcatcher530 Dan

My Dad who is 95 for years made black walnut stain on the wood stove in his garage. He used it on various things. This is my first attempt at it hopefully as good as my dad was. Les i believe my brother used to use it on his traps too he believed it detured his scent from the traps also.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Okay guys this is the result after about 8 hours of cooking. One coat of stain on wood and I dipped this rust free metal in too so you can see the difference.
20240302_115942.jpg
20240302_115956.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

well that's interesting. Thanks for the demo!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.