Oil leaking

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Oil leaking

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

My advice is bring it back to the "PROFESSIONAL" and tell him you want it fixed right.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Try shoving the wheel either in or out to line it up. Maybe that's why they didn't put one in,. Lousy excuse though.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If you can get it to go in, then take it back out and blow in where it goes with pressure. If it's clogged up, it will still leak. Dang I hate hearing stories like this. Replacement scrapers are usually made tall to custom fit properly. I grind them down a tad at a time to get them to gently scrape the hub. Might use a thin screwdriver. Maybe that will work better to get it started. Or elongate the hole to line up better. You can seal it later. There is no pressure on it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

At first I thought maybe they somehow forgot to put the oil collector in place. But now you say it won't go in it sounds like they didn't forget they just didn't CARE.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I was sort of thinking that if it was a 602, the rebuilder might had forgotten the spacer washer(s) at the end of snoot and between the hub.
Jjmiles

Post by Jjmiles »

I believe a 602
Jjmiles

Post by Jjmiles »

CTXmiller wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am I was sort of thinking that if it was a 602, the rebuilder might had forgotten the spacer washer(s) at the end of snoot and between the hub.
Agree
LoTec

Post by LoTec »

If the "professional" who rebuilt this left out the oil collector, he is a maladroit or ne'er-do-well, or both.

I once ran into a 602 in Iowa that my client had purchased from another"professional" who left out the oil collector AND poured the hub babbitt bearing with no oil return channels. Needless to say, it leaked.

Assuming that your mill HAS the oil return channels... trying to flush them out is a good idea. An air compressor as suggested could work. I flush 'em with mineral spirits or diesel fuel, using a small hand fluid transfer pump like this: https://www.amsoil.com/p/fluid-extraction-pump-g2576/ . I connect the hose to an adapter device I made: I took a 1-1/2" long 1/2" bolt that will screw into the oil collector mounting threads. I welded a 1" long 1/4" bolt to the 1/2" bolt, head to head. I drilled about a 3/16" hole lengthwise through both. The hose from the pump slips over the smaller bolt, and the fluid is pumped through the adapter into the oil passages.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Bryce , clever idea .