Drawings to put together monitor 8ft hambone

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Guy Barth

Re: Drawings to put together monitor 8ft hambone

Post by Guy Barth »

Thanks, Bob, for the pics they will really help. I am still a little confused on the chain does a wire or does the chain go down the 2in shaft along side the pitmen arm and then hookup to the pullout handle?
windybob

Post by windybob »

the chain hooks to the tail hook, and the other end goes around the pulleys down the neckpipe. Inside there, it hooks to a pullout tube. That tube has a lower end on it like a great big nail, only hollow. A fork goes around that to be able to pull it down from the g round to turn the mill off. So, you have the neckpipe, and inside that is the pullout tube, and inside that is a pumprod. 6 ft hambones take a 1/2 inch solid rod, i'm assuming an 8 ft mill takes a 5/8 rod. Regardless, Hambone pumprods hav a fine thread on the top. The bottom of it looks like a big nail, but not hollow. Not sure if I have pictures, will look.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

here is a parts list for a Hambone. If it's too small let me know. You should be able to blow it up I think.

Hambone.jpg

Here is a Dempster pullout tube. very similar to a Hambone one. Measurements are different though.

pullout 5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy Barth

Post by Guy Barth »

Paul thanks for pics. ? the chain does it go down the main shaft with the pitmen rod
Guy Barth

Post by Guy Barth »

bob thanks I have the pullout tube. I think it is in good enough shape, but I might send a pic and have you look at it. I apologize for my random messages but realized that I was talking to you and Paul and again the info is very helpful from the both of you.
Thanks
Guy
windybob

Post by windybob »

that's fine, no problem. Wording is as follows......Pumprod screws in to head gear, and goes down the neckpipe, inside the pullout tube. There is a swivel on the end of it so that the head can rotate, and the swivel not rotate. The Mainshaft is pressed into the fan (wheel) hub, and goes into the case, and a pinion is on the other end. The pitman is the thick bent rod inside the case that connects the big (crank ) gear to the sliding head inside the case. So... the chain goes thru the pulleys, and down inside the neckpipe. ( mastpipe) it hooks to the pullout tube. Them old Hambones had a hook made on the upper end of the pullout tube for the end link to slip on, then press the hook shut with a pliers. The tube should have a flat bar on it. This flat bar goes thru a slotted bushing that is inserted in the end of the neckpipe. This makes sure that the pullout tube does indeed rotate with the mill. The Hambone is the only oiling Monitor that is pull OUT operated. The rest are pull IN mills. They work opposite. Are you aware that the turntable that the Hambone sits on is at the bottom of the neckpipe? If the turntable is original, it may likely be broken out at the bottom, causing the head to ride on the top of the tower. This is not proper, but at least it will work. Turntable with steel balls under the stormstay ( the cast bracket down a few feet from the head) is common on old Monitors, and they can be replaced. these items keep the head above the tower top in order not to touch it. There should be a half inch or so of clearance between the tower top, and the bottom of the mill case. An origiinal Monitor tower top for Hambones usually have a grease cup on them for servicing to keep the inside of the tower top casting lubed against the mill neckpipe.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

after reading and understanding the pull-out tube , my question is , does the Ideal Steel use a similar setup ?
The pull-out i made for the Dempster 12 per your attached photo worked perfectly , similar to the Monitor ?
windybob

Post by windybob »

I would need to refresh my memory, it's been so long since I did my Ideal Steel.

Yes they are similar.
Guy Barth

Post by Guy Barth »

Bob thanks for the info on the pull-out tube. One other question what size of chain was used for the pull out?
windybob

Post by windybob »

6 ft Hambones and W series mills use oval-link chain that is 3/4 or 7/8 link-length. I didn't measure the piece I have at the shop, but it would be a size larger for 8 footers. Like maybe 1 or 1 1/8. I stay far away from twist-link chain for Monitor mills. For the life of me, I cannot ever remember the numbers for chain size.