Windmill automatic float system shut off

......when you need to get in the weeds.
nimblebee

Windmill automatic float system shut off

Post by nimblebee »

I stumbled upon an interesting discussion, about automatically shutting off a remotely located windmill, when stock tank is overflowing.

Seems various windmill manufacturers had solutions involving ratcheting mechanisms and floats, which acted upon windmill shut off lever.

A search on this site didn't turn up any results, so thought I would post.

Reading patents would explain just about everything about how these devices worked, satisfying curiosity.

Apparently, various manufacturers had similar systems, details varying.

One common denominator seemed to be an arm on a float ratcheting, tightening pull on arm of shut off lever.

As the water level rose and the ratchet pulled more on the shut off lever, windmill would be gradually shut off and the water would stop flowing.

Once the water level dropped, reaching a preset level, float's weight released ratcheting mechanism, pressure retaining shut off lever was released, freeing mill to once again pump water, until water level rose once again to point where float would shut off mill.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Windmill automatic float system shut off

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Do a forum search under "aermotor regulator info". It gives a generoll application and use. I think someone had posted a parts list of the aermotor regulator but it wasn't me

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
windybob

Post by windybob »

A farmer customer made his own from a aired up tire, long 2x4, and a hinge on the tankside. When the tire went up, the 2x4 pivoted on the tank, and the end went down to pull the lever. Had them on most of his mills. I sure felt sorry for those brakes.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

inginuity is the mother of invention .