Road Trip

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

Road Trip

Post by Wayne »

Hello everyone. I'm home from my 10 day 1600 mile road trip. Visited 18 Museums and historical sites. Have some neat windmill pictures. I bought a new phone and am having trouble figuring out how to get my pictures from the phone to the computer. Did it once but can't remember what I did to get it to work. Darn!
RPinAZ

Re: Road Trip

Post by RPinAZ »

Wow. Wayne, I don't know if you were planning to tell us more about the trip, but I for one would be interested in what all museums you visited and what you thought about them if you should decide to do that.

-RP
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Ok I know it may bore some people. It was without a doubt the best trip I've taken except for going to Wyoming and Yellowstone with my kids last year. I started in Avenger Tx at the WASP museum. Didn't get to see it all as they were having a big dinner that night and I couldn't go into hanger 3. I've never had a museum effect me emotionally as that one did. Those women were heroes and most of the men of the day treated them like crap. Then to Lubbock for two days. Ranch Heritage, Texas Tech History Museum, Fiber Center. Wind Power Center, then to Canyon for 2 days hiking in Palo Duro Canyon and one day at the Panhandle Plains Museum, to Dalhart for the XIT museum, Dumas for the Window on the Plains Museum, Borger for the Hutchinson County Museum, Perryton for the Museum of the Plains, stopped in Spearman at the Buchanan windmill park. Lots of their windmills need some TLC, to the AlliBates Flint Quarry didn't get to do the tour, you need to make a reservation saw some of the burned Panhandle, to Goodnight for the Charles and Molly Goodnight House and museum, in Childress for theChildress County Heritage Museum, Vernon for the Red River Museum. To Seymour for the Whiteside Museum and my last stop was in Albany to look at a Dog Trot house made out of pickets ( logs stood on end rather than layed down and stacked. See part 2
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Part 2 in Albany there was a memorial for men from Georgia who came to fight in the Texas Revolution and were massacred at Goliad with Fannin. Neat story That's it drove on home with mu memories.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Wayne , thanks for sharing
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Thank Wayne. I'm going to have to put them on the list.

-RP
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Ok I don't know what I did but I was finally able to load some of my pictures. When you add being low tech in a high tech world and a being a stupid old man together it gets tough make it in todays worl. Hope you enjoy the photos.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

image000002(41).jpg
image000000(274).jpg
image000001(130).jpg
image000003(9).jpg
This is the Picket Dog Trot house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

image000000(271).jpg[/attachment[attachment=1]image000001(127).jpg
image000001(127).jpg
image000000(273).jpg
image000001(129).jpg
Some of the burned area I saw with new flowers. They moved the town of Ochiltree to the new town sit where the railroad was, the new town was Perryton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

image000000(272).jpg
image000001(128).jpg
image000002(40).jpg
These are all XIT Ranch Windmills. One shows the Chuck wagon used by the windmill repair man. It carried all his tools and grease plus food and sleeping needs. It said the windmillers never slept inside. It was a year round job when you have over 400 windmills to service. I read last night that the windmiller would complain about the cowboys because they were supposed to help oil and grease the windmills in their area but didn't. Hope you enjoy them