Spray can, "Cold Galvanizing." Not sure about this one. Thoughts?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
DennisT

Spray can, "Cold Galvanizing." Not sure about this one. Thoughts?

Post by DennisT »

Someone on one of our forums recommended this: "Rust-Oleum Cold Galvanizing Compound," in the spray can. Can says, "contains 93% pure zinc." That much zinc sounded promising. I got some. Tried it today. It handles and goes on no differently than other spray paints. However, rather than the result looking bright silver color, or even dull silver color didn't happen. It dries out mere battleship gray. No different in look than gray primer. I'm a bit disappointed as I like the genuine look of real galvanizing. I do realize probably nothing will be the same as the real thing, but.....

Fortunately I only did test patches, so no harm done. Of course, even this looks better than rust, of which I only have a few spots of surface rust.

Anyone know of another product that looks better and protects tower iron? Or, what do you all use for touch up?

Dennis
tst

Re: Spray can, "Cold Galvanizing." Not sure about this one. Thoughts?

Post by tst »

how about the rustoleum hammer tone finish, silver with kinda like potmarks in it, hides a lot of old rusty metal,
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

there has been extensive discussion in the past few years about the question , "hannertone " is the most popolar finish , none are a perfest match , except Michael has a vender in Waco who does galvanizing , but it looks TOO perfect , not a 100 years old with charactor .
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thank you all for the tips. I'll try some of that Hammer Tone in Silver.
Dennis
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

I used ZRC on my tower. I was going to spray it so I thinned it a little with mineral spirits and sprayed two coats as recommended. At first it looked like a uniform sand blasted finish. Over time (its been about 7 or 8 months), it's weathered a little, darkened some and gotten a little mottled more like galvanizing. It's not identical to an old galvanized finish, but is getting closer. The only down side is that it's supposed to be applied to bare metal, that means all the mill scale had to come off. To do this, I made a 10' 'tank' out of 4 inch PVC and pickled the angle iron in vinegar - 3 or 4 pieces at a time for 24 hours. After that, the scale wiped off pretty easy with scotchbrite.

-RP
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You get it 20 or 30 ft in the air and it's hard to see the imperfections.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

I admire RPinAZ's devotion to his finish work. Thank you. The comments so far have been very helpful. I think mine will turn out OK. It was assembled from various genuine tower pieces, so they show variations. Sometimes when I look in the mirror I feel the same - so we'll match. (G)
Bart78

Post by Bart78 »

We machine pipe couplings in our shop. The zinc we have them played with will be shiny sometimes. And kind of dull sometimes.