My "NEW" pump

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
hwy8

My "NEW" pump

Post by hwy8 »

I promised myself that I wouldn't look at FB Marketplace for awhile: Well, that promise only lasted an hour, or maybe, two!

So, I went and bought a pump that I've never seen before and I don't know how it works either. For a change, nothing seems broken, but while we drove it home, it sure smelled bad of cat-pee inside of our Prius! (It came from one of those houses that was crammed full of junk and critters) Luckily, Mapquest helped me find a do-it-yourself car wash and the rest of the trip was fine.

I don't know about the mechanism, does it provide a better advantage when adjusted for a deeper well?

It looks like a steel pump rod hooks into the top: Is that right?

It also looks like the "handle" coming off the side is made like the junctions on a wooden (vertical) pump rod going up to the mill.

I don't know a thing, so any input is much appreciated!

Burt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: My "NEW" pump

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Burt you lucky dog, those Mast Foos pumps are not very common just like there mills. The metal flat iron rod on top was originally longer and bolted to the windmill sucker rod. I do believe the pump handle was wood.Their first mill was the Very Rare iron turbine. They also made a buckeye, Columbia, and last mill the Imperial none of them common.Someone on the forum recently bought a Imperial mill and I'm sure their going to be checking your pump out !!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I agree with Dan , you are one lucky dog to get that "find " !
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

First time I've ever seen one. Neat find. I've decided I don't need anymore stuff, but if I had seen that pump I would have changed my mind. I've got 4 gear head pumps. Two Etter's, one with a wooden handle, one with and iron handle each handle has a weight on the end of the handle.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

One of my Etter's , and my Ward.
image000000(284).jpg
image000001(137).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Gosh, maybe I should have left that smell alone; I wouldn't want anyone to think my pump isn't ancient! Later today when I'm supposed to be doing something else, I'll sneak into the workshop and saw a piece of wood for a quick handle just to see how the rollers, etc. work....

My pictures were taken as it was getting dark so I'll try and post better ones. In the meantime, this one shows the top of the pump where it looks like a sucker rod is threaded in and the set screw is tightened on it. Would there be a disconnect used in case the wind was down and I needed to use the pump handle?

What is the weight on the handle for?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

The weight on the handle is to help assist when hand pumping.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Nice pumps, Wayne!
I don't remember seeing these gear "attachments" in old catalogs, are they meant to ease the lift? Is that also the idea for the weight on the handle?
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Wayne , a hog oiler on the porch ?????
windybob

Post by windybob »

I am interested in how the pump operates when working with it!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.