General Advice

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Jckshan

General Advice

Post by Jckshan »

I have had since 1989 a 12 foot Aermotor, probably a 76010, on a 250 foot deep well using 7/16 pump rods on a 652 B barrel. But I have a problem. I serviced the pump with new leathers September a year ago but used pipe thread on all the pump rod couplings. That may have been mistake as either the rod has become disconnected or debris has fouled the bottom ball valve. Also, I did not know I should have lubricated the swivel, part no A-62. All comments will be appreciated.
Ron Stauffer

Re: General Advice

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Valuable additional info requested:

Did it pump after releather for awhile?
Does sucker rod shudder on down stroke?
If rod is uncoupled, the sucker rod will feel loose.

General advice:

Lube of pump rod base or A62 isnt as relevant as having an anti swivel pump pole support in the tower for open top cylinders
Yes, gobs of dope wrecks everything in life. After initial install we use small amount of grease on pipe and rod threads.
7/16 rod in 2” pipe is not recommended
If you have to repull, check the drop pipe by filling with water before pulling. It should hold or to the weep hole if have one. Surely one of the two checks hold
If you have to pull, pull everything and dont flush in to the well

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Jckshan

Post by Jckshan »

The mill did pump good after service September a year ago. The pump rod does not shudder now when going down. I do remember that in the past. I will feel the pump rod for looseness when I am there next! All that is excellent advice.
Jckshan

Post by Jckshan »

What's problem with the 7/16" pump rod in 2" pipe? Thats the way it was delivered, I thought that was from Aermotor in '89.
Jckshan

Post by Jckshan »

Well I am full of questions. I never knew that casting at the top of pump rods attaching it to the wood fuse was a swivel. I don't recall seeing a lubrication fitting or any advice that was needed.

Thanks!
windybob

Post by windybob »

open swivels can be lubed easily. Enclosed ones use a zerk. If the head rotates, the jetrod down the well should NOT. Ergo, the swivel at the end of the pumprod, where is comes out the bottom of the head. I see an issue with a small diameter rod in a larger pipe with a flex situation as the head pushes the rod on the down stroke. Although, if you have guides on the rod, it would probably be a non issue. We always use 7/16 rod in a 1 1/4 pipe. When going with a 2 inch (on occasion) we use 5/8 rod with guides. Although we don't usually service wells as deep as yours, I believe the well procedures remain constant.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

You really didn't say how long it pumped after releather. But if it was more than a month I don't think pipe dope is the issue. The most likely is rod disconnect or hole in pipe.

This is one style of anti swivel we do
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

20240603_144200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.