Help to Identify

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
windybob

Re: Help to Identify

Post by windybob »

There should be some info in the library section. Look under Stover, or Samson.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I’d fix it mechanically to include bearings and any other wearable components. Some folks will purchase a “was pumping when taken down” windmill and only paint it and put it back up. Then once up, it makes a racket of noise because the bearings were worn out and it slings oil, to ultimately regret their decision (not to initially rebuild) when it is up on a tower 21’ to 30’+. Repairing it while it is down is my preference.

Bullet holes, patina, and painting the gearbox are owner preference. I’ll usually paint the gearbox back to its original color after a rebuild. Open gear windmills, I’ll leave them “as is” for the patina.

Dan Benjamin is a good source for parts and is very knowledgeable. He lives in South Dakota and will ship parts and even repair components and gearboxes as well as he makes new parts (wheel arms, wheels, etc.,). I dislike posting phone #s, but you can message WindyBob, me or someone else and they’ll share Dan’s phone #. Dan Benjamin is on FaceBook.

I posted the literature link to the Samson/Stover section on this thread a few months back. Look back for that link.
Beekeeper

Post by Beekeeper »

Thanks, CTX. I went back and discovered that Windy Bob has sent me a pm with Dan's number. I'm still figuring out how the forum works. Sorry to have asked twice.

Your advice is appreciated.