Removing Hub/Shaft Assembly From Case

......when you need to get in the weeds.
MarcRoberts

Removing Hub/Shaft Assembly From Case

Post by MarcRoberts »

I am new to windmills. I am disassembling an Aermotor 702A. Everything else is apart, but so far I haven't been unable to remove the hub/shaft assembly from the case. The pin behind the rear pinion is out and the shaft turns freely in the bearings, but I have no longitudinal movement at all. I don't know how much I can drive or press on the back of the shaft through the plug hole before damaging something important. The pinions look pretty good and I hope to save them, I assume some damage to the key passing through the shaft pinions is the problem. Suggestions?
CTXmiller

Re: Removing Hub/Shaft Assembly From Case

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum.

Make sure the oil collector (part #A520) is removed from under the hub plug when the hub plug is at the 12 o’clock position.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Removing Hub/Shaft Assembly From Case

Post by Ron Stauffer »

You shouldn't hammer on the shaft of smaller mills as you can blunt them. Make yourself a pusher bolt out of 5/8 all thread as pictured. An impact wrench is more effective to push. Use a max 400 foot pound impact. A 700 will crack the case. If not moving, you can give it a whack on the all threads when in tight. Heat isn't good as it will melt the pinion bearing and you can't get a straight push. Make sure your key is at 6 o'clock so it can go through the spout washer and use a wood block between spout washer and case so both gears move. We have had to cut apart ones that were dry or rusted.. It is a chore and you will replace gears and shaft.

20241020_070602.jpg
Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.