8' Fairbury 7A Brake and Tail

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
randallbaker123

8' Fairbury 7A Brake and Tail

Post by randallbaker123 »

Hello All,,2 years ago i purchased a wind mill turns out it's a Fairbury 7A was on a pallet in pieces with the tower, I have managed to get the tower in the air with a little bit of fabrication and parts off line , Now were working on the mill itself i have managed to get the mill pretty close to complete my problem is i don't understand the mechanics of the brake and tail and how they work in tandem or if i am missing parts we cant seem to find any diagrams or info on this, Its a beautiful piece of history that has been restored, Can someone point me in the right direction

Thanks Randy
Scappoose Oregon
CTXmiller

Re: 8' Fairbury 7A Brake and Tail

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum.

The link is to the Fairbury section of literature on the forum.
viewtopic.php?t=100

My experience with Fairbury is limited to only helping a relative with a 7AA. I likely have some photos, but I don’t know the key differences between the 7A and 7AA.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Attached are a few photos that I had on my phone of a 7AA and its vane/braking system. I’d suspect the 7A is close in operation to the 7AA. I probably have a few photos of the braking system while it is erected. The tailbone on the 7AA (once furled) lifts up on the red brake lever to activate the brake band…more from memory, but partially from the photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Here are a few more photos of a 7AA. Unfortunately the brake lever is on the other side from the ladder from where I was standing when these were taken. Hopefully the photos and literature help you on your 7A or maybe someone has better photos and advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
randallbaker123

Post by randallbaker123 »

Thanks for the quick Reply ..Kinda what i thought when the tail is tucked in the brake lever is pushed up to apply the brake, my problem is the brake handle is lower than the top of the tail when disengaged it hits about mid center of the tail when tucked inward the pictures are greatly appreciated but im not sure if i am missing parts not being able to see the brake side

Thanks so much Mr Miller