Rebuilding Dempster 10 ft no 12

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Rebuilding Dempster 10 ft no 12

Post by windybob »

I forgot which type oil seal you had, the felt seal, or the full circle rubber seal. I think you have the felt seal. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you have the oil spiral (cast iron) put it on the shaft and pin it in place like it was before. Then put on the heavy spring, and the bearing cone, then I think the thick washer that's too small for the shaft. Either drive it on, or heat it to swell it. It needs to compress the spring down to original compression point, where you should be able to see on the shaft. The problem with heating that interferance-fit washer is that you need to compress the spring and hold it while the washer cools and shrinks, or put water on it. If you press the washer on, it should stay in compression.

Then you can insert the shaft, and start installing gears, spacers, bearings, keys, and the other items. Save the hub for much later.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.