Samson

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Overkill

Re: Samson

Post by Overkill »

Jim it should be visible from I10 it will be on the north west side of I10 and 71 if you want to come check it out just let me know.

Michael I’m not sure as I have heard this one can do a 700 ft well. I have good water at 130ft and another band at 630ft I was going to defer that decision to the well company as it will be a new well drilled for this windmill. Do you have any advice for depth or size. I don’t need a lot of water I just want it operating.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Welcome Overkill
Looking forward to see the pictures of the process of the rebuild and set up. That is one impressive sized windmill.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Overkill - I’m the dummy end of the tape measure more often than not, so my inquiry as to water well depth was generic. I know a 20’ can pump from a great depth. Someone on here smarter than me would have to answer your depth/size question.

I am interested in photos of your progress on the rebuild and install of the 20’ Samson.

Michael
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Here are a couple of Samson pump tables from a Samson catalog. If you want to PM me your email I can send you the entire catalog. Lots of other useful info in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Mike I sent you the PM I have seen these charts but is it really true 12000 gallons per hour. Given that is max wind speed and a huge well but dang that’s a lot of water. Also I have seen these come in a-few different strokes so I’ll have to measure it once I return from Venezuela.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I'd call it a theoretical number. A 14" cylinder, 20" stroke, that's 13.4 gal/stroke at 15 strokes/min is 200 gal/min or 12,000 gal/hr but at less than 10psi. That's water park type flow rates but the starting torque on the mill would be huge. Obviously, you'll want a pretty small cylinder for your depth if you want flow in modest winds. Your stroke length is adjustable by moving the pitman rods to another hole in the driven gear. Now if you could adjust the stroke on the fly, that would be cool.
kozzy

Post by kozzy »

The 20 footer we are "restoring" was over a 530' well IIRC. Their issue was not the pumping but the wind. Cows get cranky if you have too many windless days and the water goes away so they scabbed in an engine powered pump jack for intermittent use. The same well is solar today.

Edit correction: 565 foot deep well.
Last edited by kozzy on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Jake- how are you coming with the Samson?
PaulV
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Paul,

I just got back in country, my dad and I was able to take it apart and haul it all to my place this past Saturday the 14th. I will start my build thread soon. The tower was missing a few of the cable cams. Do you know where I could get some or should I have new ones machined.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
windybob

Post by windybob »

Depends on what size they are, I may have some. Mine are off standard towers for 6 and 8 ft mills. A 20 footer tower may have larger ones and thicker cables? Not sure.

Take a measurement, and let me know how many you need.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.