Halladay question

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Halladay question

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Since I am not doing very good with my Eclipse questions, I will ask this. On the old forum, there was a thread on the Halladay windmills concerning the section differences between the vaned and the counterbalance models. Can anyone refresh me on that? I would give anything to copy some of my book marked threads from back there. :-( I am thinking that the windmills would turn on opposite so would have the reverse blades? Looking at my iron I am scratching my head because I got section parts from two different mills and the pivot points and other iron look the same, is that correct or do I just have one style of section iron here? Dazed and confused as usual, LOL
windmillerman

Re: Halladay question

Post by windmillerman »

Halladays
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windmillerman

Post by windmillerman »

do not have a picture of vaneless, but this Challenge? or US? at bottom seems backward, like the one I saw at the Batavia trade fair...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You are right I've never seen a vane less blow in that direction. It would certainly be unique if it did. There are a lot of strange things out there. Wonder what the old timers have to say. Ivan were you at.
WILLC

Post by WILLC »

The Halliday Standard at the Batavia trade fair was assembled backwards.we often kidded Bob Popeck about the error. The mill is currently in pieces in storage at Batavia city hall,still waiting for decisions on where and how to display it.
WILLC

Post by WILLC »

Batavia’s Halliday vaneless is currently getting a new wheel,it’s been down over a year.and I am told the Challenge vaneless is next.It looks to need extensive work also.They just have one fellow working on them part time.Seems like the upkeep gets farther behind on the 15 or so mills that they have.
windmillerman

Post by windmillerman »

I’m guessing the Hallafay vaneless like the vaned at trade fair is backwards?
WILLC

Post by WILLC »

Yes,the USWE vaneless wheel sections on the Batavia mill,the bottom picture,are backwards,but they’ve since been corrected.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Nice pics, thanks, However, are the vaned and vaneless sections the same? I am still confused? I guess I am asking this because I have some old wood, its all the same, can I use this pattern on both mills or are they different? Thanks
windmillerman

Post by windmillerman »

I would guess the same and mechanism is backwards?