Different Windmill Raising/ Tear Down Techniques

......when you need to get in the weeds.
JBarker

Re: Different Windmill Raising/ Tear Down Techniques

Post by JBarker »

Ron,

Thanks for the information. This will help me make my decision.
Jerry Wade Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Murphy's Law!
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

grezmonki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:29 am A pump hoist does it for me. Here Im installing just the mill, but if I do a complete, I usually raise the tower first ,get it set and secure then install the mill onto the tower.DSCN1529.JPG
Very Cool Grezmonki, I have my mill i have to put up at some point so i am looking for ways to do it. A small crane seems to be about the best way i can find. I just needed the keyword "Pump Hoist". In re doing my mill i have come across all these mills that i would love to have and am looking to find something simple like a dually and your setup. Something small that i am not driving a Transport around. Costs add up quick especially because i live an hour away from the closest big farm country (southern Ontario).
Josh From Ontario
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

Wayne wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 am Eclpise 9-29-13 033.jpgRaisng my 10 FT Eclipse. Using a hinge frame I had seen at Spearmen :D
Gorgeous mill Wayne, I cringe seeing that half way up just imagining it falling. I would never forgive myself. I would love to have a wood mill of my own. Josh
Josh From Ontario
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

I hope I didnt malign hinging too badly. It certainly can be done but if something fails it is not forgiving.

Pump hoists are the nicest for down the well work. Cranes are nicest for stabbing heads on towers. A pump hoist boom does not rotate so they only way to go sideways is to lean the rig. The outriggers on a pump hoist are only about 5' apart so you can imagine how safe it is to lean the truck. The boon on a pump hoist will only layback about 10' on a standard length boom. To set a head on an already standing tower with a pump hoist requires that you lean the truck and layback to be able to pick it up to clear the tower. The only other option is picking up the head before backing in to the tower. Moving with the boom up and with weight on the line is equally thrilling. This is where a crane is much nicer for stabbing a head on an already standing tower. A smaller crane that sets trusses is ideal. These operators are used to more precise maneuvering and will do it the most reasonable because they are not as expensive of a rig.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Josh, When they are going up that way. There is much butt puckering going on! You can see lots of stuff going wrong at that time. Bought me a host mounted it on an old trailer. Have taken mills down with it but have not raised one yet. Maybe soon.
grezmonki

Post by grezmonki »

Skyhook was a popular brand of small crane for sign installation Thru the 90"s. They're no longer made so a guy can buy one now relatively cheap( but if a parts breaks on it, hard to find and not cheap)! A friend of mine uses this one, it works very smooth.
IMG_20170104_214641_216.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

One on the left looks much like mine.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

windybob wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:00 am One on the left looks much like mine.
I wonder if its dashboard wires are all taped up too? :o :o :o :o

Gosh, its nice we are all back. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

When you get the whole stinkin' wire harness, you don't need tape. Haha
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.