Bell hub Aermotor questions

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Wind Charger Mike

Bell hub Aermotor questions

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Need help deciphering casting numbers on a bell hub Aermotor. Appears to be a hodgepodge of parts, the few I have. Most have A02 and the bell hub 89. They were with a 40’ steel tilt up. Like to know if could have been original to the tower or is motor earlier. Restore or part out advice also appreciated. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mister Ed

Re: Bell hub Aermotor questions

Post by Mister Ed »

Mike - I thought that the bell hub used the A2 main casting, just like the 1903. It looks like you have the A02 mainframe casting, which is for the 1903 (1905) RA. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Looks like there is a replacement bearing arm, to replace the broken one in the main frame.

Those two gears are for a 602 (one early and one later version).

Looks like you have 2 mostly intact upper tailbone castings for the 1903/1905RA (might have been the same for a bell hub). I think the other 2 upper tailbone castings are broken.

Now could you put the bell hub hub on the 1905 RA? Probably. Not sure how a brake would work.
Thanks,
Ed
Wind Charger Mike

Re: Bell hub Aermotor questions

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Thanks Ed, sounds like the bell hub is the odd part in the bunch. Your date for the mainframe casting is a little later than my understanding of when the tilt towers were made. Useful info, thanks.