Aermotor mast straightening

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
billcobb

Re: Aermotor mast straightening

Post by billcobb »

You do have some other options:

Put the tower on a hill such that the mast pipe is vertical when installed.

Put up the mill and pull on the tail vane with a rope until it meets township ordinances.

Put it up and knock it down again but on the opposite side. The crunch will be done ([2 wrongs make a right sometimes).

Cut the stub tower legs on one side to make the mast pipe look vertical.

Sell it to someone in Pisa, Italy, it ought to fit right in.

Set the tower in place so that the tilt favors your best view. Great for Christmas card shots.

Sell it to a blind family, they probably will never know, but will appreciate the creaking noise.

Write a book about it: "Tilting at Windmills", by Don Corleone.
bobceng

Post by bobceng »

I am considering the "put it up and knock it down again" option.
Unfortunately, the bend is already to the right, so I need to know if two rights can produce a left. Maybe I will stand on the opposite side so the bend goes the other way.

I dunno, I was never good with that fizziks stuff...
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

My AZ helper is in Michigan for a high school reunion. It appears there is something there that is contagious other than covid. Haha. I will see what he is like when he gets back

Ron
windybob

Post by windybob »

Good luck. Maybe he will come back and be wondering why everyone else looks so old and worn, when he sees the same guy in the mirror he always was.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

When he returns, guarantee he will be hungry for pizza, butter pecan ice-cream, and a few other candies by the gallon.
bobceng

Post by bobceng »

Just got my mast back from the machine shop in Traverse. Nice and straight! He heated the area red, then applied pressure and chucked in a lathe to check alignment. Other than a 6-inch area of discoloration, there is no evidence of a crack. I may remove and replace the mast cup for most complete visual inspection.