Cold morning

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

Re: Cold morning

Post by Wayne »

Yes your probably right about what the old folks would have done. Someone posted this said they saw it on Facebook: 2020 was the year from hell, 2021 is the year hell froze over. Have water since yesterday afternoon. Under a boil order. I'd sure like to take a shower but kinda reluctant to get rid of the snow in the bathtub. I know one thing I'll always keep around a case of bottled water. I had one left over from a trip last year. sure glad I had it.
wmswindmiller

Post by wmswindmiller »

The only silver lining to this cold is that it preserves the galvanizing, right?
I’ve been an undertaker in ND for 30yrs. Last year was one for the books and this year is not impressive as of yet.
Stay safe and be smart everyone.
Mike Williams
Jamestown, ND
windybob

Post by windybob »

the cold also preserves my attitude that I don't like winter. I hope that everyone does get thru it ok. i am totally shocked that the grid went haywire in Texas. Incredible.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy, follow the $, that is what happen to our electric grid !

Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm not surprised. and I'm pretty sure that if we have the same issue again the problem won't have been fixed, because the same people that lets us get in that position are the same people in charge today. By April it will have been forgotten and put on the back burner. Weather man says we can thank the Canadians for their wind but now we we welcome Pacific winds and they are warmer. I learned something. Snow in your bathtub doesn't melt, it evaporates most of the snow is gone from tub but no water. Hot shower this morning, just don't wash your face.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Wayne,
Fortunately you have water. We're still out and I suspect will be out for several more days. Headed over to my son's house in Hutto this afternoon to shower and wash clothes. He's fortunate not to have to depend on the city of Austin for utilities. Good news is the sun is out, the ice is almost all gone, and we'll be back up in the 70's in a few days and I can get back to work on my Stover tower.
Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

It seems in our area all the rural water supply companies get their water from Corsicana. I will say they seemed to have done a good job getting things back on line even with the boil order. I can say I'm pretty much back to normal. Went to town got my first Dallas Morning News in a week, bought some BBQ and two Double Fudge Chocolate Brownies. Read about the people that thought they had a cheap power program but they are charged by demand and some are looking at 4 and 5 figure electric bills.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

With very cold weather and no outside work happening it was time to upgrade my torch carrying machinery.
the axle & wheels are from a 1920 Star automobile, the 2nd hub cap was from a Whippet auto. A few of you will remember this style cart when you were very young.
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

A friend of mine restores Essex and Overland autos from the teens and 20's and such. Very interesting. She may have what could be considered the largest inventory of parts in the country.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Just like windmills ! there is some really odd stuff out there.