Is my tower adequate and what is it

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Is my tower adequate and what is it

Post by windybob »

Let me see if I can get a few questions answered. That hole needs to be plugged. However, make sure the way is open all the way thru the tube for oil to flow. I usually put a small gasket between the end of the tube there, and the snout. You don't want oil leaking out there. A dab of silicone or something is fine. Also, on the top of the head where the guide shaft comes out, I put some sealer there. That's a water inlet if I ever saw one!

If that's a 8 ft Hambone, 2 qts is fine. I believe there is a filler plug for oil, and when you see the oil it's good to go. Kind of like the old lawnmower filler plugs. We use red ATF. I know it's hig detergent, but it will never turn to parrafin, or clog, or get thick in the winter. We have had more than one run-in with 5 or 10 W oil. Never had issues since we started with ATF.

The pumprod has fine threads. I'm pretty sure it does NOT have a hole for a cotter key, so snug or tight works. The important thing is to make sure the swivel on the bottom end works free, then items IN the well won 't come apart, and the pumprod won't come undone. You don't want to lock it in the head permanent, becuase it needs changed sometimes.

There are 2 pulleys on the head. One to turn the chain outward when it comes up the neckpipe, and to to angle the chain towards the tail hook. If your pullout assembly is original, then your cable (wire, or whatever) will follow a leg up and hook to your fork bar hole at the bottom. Probably run it down the same leg it's close to. That way it won't be in the way of the pump pole. The priginal pullout hardware is designed to take the pressur from an angled pullout wire. However, a straight pull is always better. From what you are saying, I have some concern with your pullout system that is up by the pullout tube in the tower.

These mills are particularly top heavy. You must be very careful when riggin up.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
waupaca

Post by waupaca »

Perfect- Thank you Windybob. I need to digest the pullout system further and will probably back with more questions. The hambone with tail vane and 8 foot sail weighed in at 240lbs so I'm still working the the rigging plan
waupaca

Post by waupaca »

I have the mill head in place on the ground and working on the cable attachment for the brake and want to have in place before I raise the tower and head. The wire strap attachment on the mill head has 3 holes available to set the initial spring tension.
Any thoughts on which hole to set the spring at. I'm hoping I don't have to redo this after the mill is raised.

I added some temporary steel angles for the and welded on lifting eyes for the crane. I think I'm set for the lift.
Hoping to raise this next week!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I would hook the tailspring and then tie the tail over to the outer wheel ban (by a wheel arm) before the lift. Easier to do it on the ground than in the air.

I don't know what all you have prepared there, but a couple of things to think about is.....lift the unit by the tower, not the mill. Pick a day when it's not windy. You don't really want the wheel getting in touch with the lifting straps too much. Once you tie the tail to the wheel for the lift, put a couple of pairs of vice grips on the brake and hub to keep the wheel still. You can't have enough pairs of vicegrips when setting a tower. They work great all around the bottom until the holes get punched. Hambones are notoriously heavy, and top heavy at that. I'm sure you know that by now. Be careful! and good luck. I'm sure there are a bunch of more things to consider, but you probably have thought this through at least 50 times.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
LoTec

Post by LoTec »

Not sure about your description of your pullout system. There has to be a way for the mill to yaw to track the wind and the pullout has to be able to swivel 360° as well.
waupaca

Post by waupaca »

It's been about 60 years since Spirit Lake Farm has had a windmill but my Baker monitor is now up, spinning and pumping water. The crane erection went flawlessly. I was then hoisted up to oil the mill and remove my erectionn hardware.
Thanks all for the support and great advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Another one saved. Thank you Jeff and a great job too.👍
windybob

Post by windybob »

Glad all went well! Looks great!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Jeff , really , really nice job ! a great feeling see her up and singing for the 1st time !
congratulations !
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Congratulations. Looks great