SAMSON 6 OR 8' INFORMATION

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: SAMSON 6 OR 8' INFORMATION

Post by windybob »

FYI, Samson mills are made by Stover. Oh and thanks for the tip. I have not worked on a S yet, but do have some. I did an M a few years ago. I will make sure I remember the advice.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
MIKES1958

Post by MIKES1958 »

HELLO WINDMILL LOVERS OF THE WORLD . I HAVE MANAGED TO GET QUITE A FEW THINGS DONE ON MY 8' SAMSON MODEL S . MAINLY BECAUSE OF A VERY GOOD MACHINIST FRIEND . WE MANAGED TO ROSEBUD THE GUTS OF THIS THING & PULLED THE MAIN SHAFT THAT WAS BENT OUT FROM THE SNOUT OF THE GEAR CASE . I NEVER WOULD HAVE DONE THIS ALONE . IT TURNS OUT THE HUB IS THREADED ONTO THE SHAFT . MY MACHINIST DRILLED OUT THE SHAFT FROM THE HUB & RETHREADED THE END OF THE HUB . THEN HE CUT OFF THE DAMAGED END OF THE SHAFT , MADE A NEW PIECE FOR THE DAMAGED SHAFT , MACHINED IT , THREADED IT & PLUG WELDED IT TO THE ORIGINAL SHAFT . IT LOOKS LIKE A NEW SHAFT NOW ! MANAGED TO SAVE THE SIDE GEAR BEARING CUPS , BUT REPLACED THE BEARING CONES . I BOUGHT NEW BEARINGS & CUPS FOR THE MAIN SHAFT . I'M STILL IN THE PROCESS OF INSTALLING THESE THINGS . THERE IS A BEARING RETAINER THAT ATTACHES TO THE FRONT GEAR CASE SNOUT . I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TIGHTEN THIS RETAINER & LEAVE A LITTLE END PLAY ON THE MAIN SHAFT . DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS LASH UP ? I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE CUPS AREN'T SUPPOSE TO ROTATE IN THEIR COUNTER BORE . I DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE TAIL VANE ASSY. I ONLY HAVE THE HINGE ASSY . THE REST WAS CUT OFF . I SURE WISH I COULD GET SOME DETAILED INFO, PICS ON ALL THE SMALL STUFF I'M MISSING . SENDING ALONG SOME PICS . MY IGNORANCE LEVEL ON WINDMILLS IS ABOUT A 10 . THANKS FOR ANY HELP !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

You are correct. Bearing cups (outer races) are NOT supposed to spin in the bore. Your machinist friend should have a fix for this issue. He should also be able to make any shaft you will need. All the fan assembly can be repaired, straightened, re-formed or whatever. New sails can be made if you need.....by a sheet metal shop that makes furnace plenums, etc. save all the tailpin items. Shafts, pins, etc can be made, cast items cannot. You do not have that rare of a mill. Parts are available.

Might check the library section here and see if you can find help, or pictures, or parts lists.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.