Baker hole punch

Break something? We understand your frustration. Vent about it here.
joe herman

Re: Baker hole punch

Post by joe herman »

I received a PM from Ivan. Indicated he had same experience once. Changed to a different brand.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Joe,

I have three punches: the Baker and two Roper Whitney punches. Each has their own benefits.

I’d prefer to use the Baker if I was in the air on a tower.

I like the Roper Whitney #10 for any type of ground work and is good for 3/16” material. I have a #12 which will pop a hole in 1/4” and allows for a longer material area to punch. The #12 is heavier than the #10, so I use the #10 most of all three. A ratcheting handle is also an option on the Roper Whitneys and the punch/dies are interchangeable between the #10 and #12.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Michael , when it comes time to punch & assemble another tower I'm coming to see you , you have the tools & skills to make the job easier .
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Mike,

Just stuff I’ve picked up as I’ve drilled a few holes over the years. Occasionally I’d find a deal on eBay or at a garage sale on the Roper items. They come in handy, but it might cause a hernia to pop a hole in 1/4” material.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I dropped the Baker punch off at the welder. He said he can weld a plate on each side. Not going be pretty but if will work
that is fine with me.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok sounds good. I hope it maintains the throat depth.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Ran into welder today. Asked about the punch. Had not gone ahead with job. He said that his hourly shop charge is $136.00 plus parts, Etc.
Told him that I could not justify the extra money on top of the $97.00 I paid for it at the auction. No guarantees as well.

We have many Hutterite colonies within a 30 mile radius. They have excellent machine shops and I can ask them to see what
they would charge. They are always in town shopping and need to find out from people I know that know them quite well.

I have gotten by without a punch so far and will just have to drill the ones I need.
I already have the ones in the stub tower that I will taking to a job site July 19th. Only have to drill another 16 there
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Joe , I had to look up nfo on Hutterite Commune living , interesting history , i suspect they also have excellent craftsmenship needed for your simpe welding project , and yes , i would also have taken pause at the hourly rate of the local guy .
Just my thoughts , Mike B
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Mike, I am going to look into which colony has the craftsman that does cast welding. I have driven by a number of colonies. In fact I obtained my first Aermotor B602 wheel from one for the princely price of $50.00. Had no bullet holes in the sails but the vane was like a sieve.
I repoured the babbitt and made a new vane. I obtained an Aermotor tower for $150.00 so was quite fortunate. mill is still pumping water.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Joe, Windy & I think similar about the pricing of used windmills and parts
Millions were built, and yes there are many rare & special such as the double header in Minnesota
But still the “house wife “ hanging fans & tails as wall decorations ha sent parts prices tooo high
You did good on your Aermotor set up in Canada