Estimate of pull-out wire/cable force A-602

......when you need to get in the weeds.
windybob

Re: Estimate of pull-out wire/cable force A-602

Post by windybob »

I'm in an area where it might be 'windy'....

I'm also okay with partly furling a mill. Well, at least 6 or 8 ft mills. Not permanently, just on occasion. If the tank is full, but you just need to maintain water level, it works. However, not more than halfway shut. don't want the brake dragging. That's what the buffers are there for. to cushion the open / close action. A mastpipe will wear if the mill never changes direction. If it never changes, there is something else to worry about.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
LoTec

Post by LoTec »

That's what the buffers are there for. to cushion the open / close action.
Yes but. On an Aermotor, if the mill is half furled, the buffer only cushions when the tail moves toward the motor and the buffer arm hits the motor. When the governor spring tries to pull the tail back open, the tailbone hits against the 585 tailbone casting before the buffer device can hit the motor on the back swing. Therefore, the buffer provides no cushioning for this impact.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I still say to customize the water volume to suit your needs. These parts are easily replaced, and not often broken. There is no perfect windmill. Monitors have NO buffer system whatsoever, and rarely need attention. I would be more concerned with what kind of oil, or maintenance is done. One thing I've learned, young or old, tall or short, heavy or thin, is that farmers rarely climb towers, and know little about mills. I am amazed on an on going basis, how a farmer can tear a combine apart piece by piece in the driveway, and put it all back together by sunrise, but have no idea what's inside a mill gearbox. ( and generally afraid to mess with them)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Partially furling an Aermotor will often lead to the brake surface area of the hub wearing out too.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO