Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
FlJet

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by FlJet »

I was born and raised in the south so humidity is all I know. But I'll happily take the heat and humidity over the ice and the snow. I'm 6'-0" and about 150 pounds fully clothed and sopping wet. I'm not built for the cold. HIGH Temps in the 20's? No thanks.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

My piece of 1-1/8" shaft finally arrived yesterday. I slid it in the case just to see how the fit was on my front bearing (bushing) and I was surprised at the slop I had. Which is disappointing to say the least. It was late last night so I didn't get the chance to check the clearance. How much should I have? How much can I live with? I don't have a lot of experience with slow speed stuff riding on solid bearings.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Turn the bearing upside down. All the force is down anyway. That way you get a new surface. Clearance should be maybe 1/32 or so. you just don't want to hub riding on the lower part of the snout.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

I hadn't thought about rolling the bearing. I'll need to check and see if the slop is due to wear, or if it was just machined too big to begin with. Any chance your weather has changed? Still curious about that bottom tab on my case. Not sure if it's supposed to be angled like that, or if it's worn and I need to build it back up.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Let me check. Pinched nerve in my hip. Kinda hard to concentrate on anything.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I looked at mine, and others too. The angled wear on your part must be just that....uneven wear. If the tailpin was worn bad, or something else was broken, it would not be unusual at all.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

I looked at mine more closely this morning and I think I have a little wear, and a little optical illusion. The tab gets thicker where it attaches to the case. Once the tab gets past that curved portion it’s fairly uniform in thickness. There’s got to be a washer between the tab and the tail though. There’s a pretty sharp edge on the flat-bar that would otherwise be riding on the tab. It shows zero wear.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I will take a picture this morning of where the torsion spring sits on the lower tailbone casting. I saw yesterday that the tailspring must be wide enough to fit down on the bulbous portion. If my 8 ft spring I showed is not wide enough then that idea is a bust.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Okay, even though I'm in excruciating pain, I did this special for you. :o :lol:

fm 45 tail hardware 2 ed.jpg

fm 45 tail hardware 1 ed.jpg
fm 45 tail hardware 3 ed.jpg
fm 45 tail hardware 4 ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Measure your lower hinge casting to see if this spring will fit.